Optical components - lens and mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement and resulting images of objects using a diverging lens and a mirror. In part a, the subject must be placed at a distance of 3 times the focal length in order to be scaled twice, and the image will be inverted. In part b, the image can be found using the formula Z = -f/(d-f), but the magnification cannot be determined without numerical values. In part c, the distance d must be chosen so that the resulting image is four times smaller than the object, and the final image will be located at a distance of -3.75 times the focal length. The validity of the solutions is uncertain without numerical values.
Numeriprimi

Homework Statement

a) Despite the diverging lens with focal length f we observed object which is perpendicular to the optical axis (Figure 6 in the article ,,5. Rozptylka a zrcátko"). To what distance from the diverging lens we have to put the subject to be scaled twice? (cross-magnification Z = 1 / 2). Determine also the position of the image of subject.

b) NextLOK to the diverging lens we placed a mirror perpendicular to the optical axis of the distance d from the lens. The rays pass through the lens, reflected from the mirror and then again pass through the lens. Where we will find the image of object and what will be its cross-magnification?

c) How we have to choose a distance d that the resulting image will be four times smaller than the object? Where we will see the final image?

1. The attempt at a solution
a) I use this equations:
Z = -a'/a = -(a'-f/f) = -(f/(a-f) = 1/2 (minus only for decisions - the image upright / inverted)
a = f(Z+1)/Z = f*1,5/0,5 = 3f
a' = f(Z-1) = f*(0,5-1) = -0,5f
Is right?

b) Ok, I can draw it, but numerically... Hehe.
Can I use the typical formula Z=y'/y = - a'/a = -(a'-f)/f = -f/(a-f) ? I think NO, but I try it.
Z = -f/(d-f); a' = Z*d = -fd*(d-f)

c)
Hmmm... Also the formula.
Z = -f/(a-f)
d=f(Z+1)/Z = f*(0,25+1)/0,25=5f
a, = -Z*d = -0,25*5f = -3,75f

Ok, this is my solutions. What do you think about it? What is true, what is false? Please, give me a advice, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the difference between a lens and a mirror?

A lens is a transparent material with at least one curved surface that can refract light, while a mirror is a smooth, reflective surface that can reflect light.

2. How do lenses and mirrors affect light?

Lenses and mirrors can bend and manipulate light, causing it to converge or diverge, creating magnified or reduced images.

3. What are the different types of lenses and mirrors?

There are two main types of lenses: convex and concave. Convex lenses bulge outwards in the middle and can make objects appear larger, while concave lenses curve inward and can make objects appear smaller. Mirrors can also be either convex or concave, and can have different levels of curvature that affect the way light is reflected.

4. How are lenses and mirrors used in everyday technology?

Lenses and mirrors are used in a wide range of everyday technology, such as cameras, telescopes, microscopes, and eyeglasses. They are also used in scientific instruments, such as spectrophotometers, and in industrial processes, such as laser cutting and welding.

5. Can lenses and mirrors be combined to create more complex optical systems?

Yes, lenses and mirrors can be combined in various configurations to create more complex optical systems, such as compound microscopes, reflecting telescopes, and multi-element camera lenses. These systems can provide more precise and versatile manipulation of light for various applications.