Optical problem that eludes me

• Thread starter texnoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, the Sun's gross energy is .6kW/M2 with roughly 40% of that energy being IR. This energy can be piped through fiber optics and multiplied by the number of collecters and mirrors to create a laser output of 2kW. If filtering out divergence causes too much of a loss, why couldn't it just not be filtered and accept the small amount of undercutting in the application?
texnoz
At my location, the Sun's gross energy is .6kW/M2 with roughly 40% of that energy being IR.

Now on to my question..

Why can't we collect, filter and collimate that IR to be used in laser cutting applications?
I understand divergence will be an issue but if the divergence is filtered out to say .5º, there should still be adequate energy for the application. This energy could be piped through fiber optics and multiplied by the number of collecters and mirrors.
If filtering out divergence causes too much of a loss, why couldn't it just not be filtered and accept the small amount of undercutting in the application? 99.9% of all laser cutting applications involve materials that are less than 1mm in thickness and/or etching of material surfaces which divergence wouldn't be an issue at all. I'm kind of at a loss since the Sun's rays are free, yet laser energy is at a 90% loss.

If I could only harness say 10% of the available IR, it would still be feasible to manufacture a machine whose collecting surface is 100M2 and produce better than 2kW of output.

Am I missing something??

Science news on Phys.org
100 m^2 is a big lens! And it has to track the sun. It just isn't very practical.

Hi texnoz, welcome to PF.

texnoz said:
Am I missing something??

Yes, and if you

1. Look at the specs of an existing IR laser;
2. Design your sun-routing system to match these specs; and
3. Compare the costs

you will see what it is.

I work with an IR laser. Among other things, I need constant power, I want to modulate it on a millisecond time scale, I want to run the equipment at night and on rainy days, and I don't want to install a giant mirror on the roof of my research building. When you're adding up the costs, make sure to include workarounds to these issues.

1. What is an optical problem?

An optical problem refers to a difficulty or issue related to the use or functioning of light, lenses, or other optical devices.

2. What are some common optical problems?

Some common optical problems include distortion (e.g. straight lines appearing curved), aberration (e.g. blurriness or color fringing), and diffraction (e.g. loss of sharpness or contrast).

3. Why is it important to solve optical problems?

Solving optical problems is crucial for ensuring the accuracy and reliability of optical devices, such as cameras, microscopes, and telescopes. It also aids in improving image quality and enhancing our understanding of light and its properties.

4. How do scientists approach solving optical problems?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical knowledge, experimental methods, and advanced technologies (e.g. computer simulations) to identify and address optical problems. They also collaborate with engineers and other experts to develop innovative solutions.

5. What are some current challenges in the field of optical problem solving?

Some current challenges in the field of optical problem solving include finding solutions for complex and dynamic optical systems, developing techniques for correcting multiple types of optical aberrations, and improving the accuracy and speed of optical measurements.