1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical Transmission through a thin Film

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In optics, the following expression needs to be evaluated in calculating the intensity
    of light transmitted through a film after multiple reflections at the surfaces of the
    film:

[tex]{\sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ { r }^{ 2n } } cos\quad n\theta })^{ 2 }+{ \sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ { r }^{ 2n } } sin\quad n\theta })^{ 2 }[/tex]
    Show that this is equal to [tex]{ \left| \sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ { r }^{ 2n } } { e }^{ in\theta } \right| }^{ 2 } [/tex] and so evaluate it assuming |r| < 1 (r is
    the fraction of light reflected each time).

2. Relevant equations

It looks like geometric series to me, so [tex]S=\frac{a}{1-r}[/tex] where S is the sum of the and r is some decimal number less than one.

3. The attempt at a solution

The text says the trick is to use only the imaginary part of the series (which is sign). I get a different answer than the book. I get [tex]S=\frac{1}{1-r^{2}sin^{2}\theta}[/tex] since I let replace r with the number that is in the geometric series. That is [tex]r^{2}e^{i\theta}[/tex]. The book's solution is [tex](1+r^{4}-2r^{2}cos\theta)^{-1}[/tex]. Not sure how they got that.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2014 #2
    The book's solution is right. Find the sum S. S will have a complex exponential in the denominator. Multiply it by its complex conjugate and simplify. There will be a term that you can identify as twice the cosine.

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3
    Working on it. I see that multiplying the the denominator by the conjugate gives me the book's answer. However, I don't understand why I would only be multiplying the denominator by the conjugate and not the numerator too. If I multiply by 1 using a ratio of the complex conjugate, I then get that term in the numerator, and it is no longer one. According to the text I am actually only interested in the imaginary part of the sum. Then I would expect that answer to be [tex]\frac{r^{2}sin\theta}{(1+r^{4}-2r^{2}cos\theta)}[/tex]

Follow this link for a JPG of the textbook page:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3e_cmEDZ8qaREgzTTV6WU8zaEI4QW1xOWl2RkwwSVRtNWxn/edit

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

5. Apr 3, 2014 #4
    Don't multiply by one. Multiply by the complex conjugate. Maybe you should look up what the absolute square of a complex number is.

6. Apr 3, 2014 #5
    Ahhhhh! Because I need [tex]S^{2}[/tex] not just [tex]S[/tex]. This makes sense. Thank you.

Regards,
    Chris Maness

7. Oct 2, 2016 #6
    I didn't get the idea of the solution very well.. can anybody explain it for me please?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted