1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics: I do not understand what this question is asking!

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Call the irradiance at the center of the central Fraunhofer diffraction maximum of a single slit [itex]I_0[/itex] and the irradiance at some other point in the patterm I. Obtain the ratio [itex]I/I_0[/itex] for some point on the screen that is 3/4 of a wavelength farther from one edge of the slit than the other.

2. Relevant equations
    Irradiance for single slit diffraction
    [tex]I=I_0sinc^2(β)[/tex]
    [tex]β=\frac{1}{2}kbsin\theta[/tex]
    [tex]k=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex]
    b=slit size

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I know that when beta is equal to zero, the irradiance is at its maximum. But I do not know if this helps me or not. I honestly do not understand the question. 3/4 of a wavelength farther from one edge of the slit than the other? Don't I need the slit length? How can I make use of this information? Why does it say "than the other." What other point?

I really want to understand this problem. If anyone can help me I would much appreciate it!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think of two coherent light sources, one at each edge of the slit. At a point that is 3/4 of a wavelength farther from one of those two sources than the other, how would the amplitude of the combined wave compare to the amplitude at a point where there was full constructive interference (maximum amplitude). How would the intensities be related? (ie how is intensity related to amplitude?).

AM

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    In other words you don't need a variable if you have a way to cancel it using the given information and perhaps setting up two equations or a ratio

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4
    Ohh! Okay that makes sense now! Thanks guys, I will give it a shot tomorrow. (Just finished studying :p)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook