1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics - reduce image and launch into optical fiber

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    Dear all,

I'd like to know if there is a way of reducing an image and launching it into the core of an optical fiber.

By other words, I'm not interested in the spatial distribution of the light (the image itself) but I'm interested in gathering all the light coming from the scene and launching all this light into the core of an optical fiber.

Any help/suggestion on this?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
    Filipe

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #2
    Break the image into pixels, encode it, and modulate the light being launched down the fiber.

Reverse the process on the other end of the fiber.

4. Jan 2, 2012 #3
    That's very interesting and I'd love to hear more about how this is done but , Why can't you just use a lens? There are optical devices available for use in homes that collect a lot of light, focus it, move it into the house and spread it back out again to provide indoor lighting without putting a big hole in your roof. You might try to find one of those and see just how it works???

5. Jan 3, 2012 #4
    Antiphon,

how would you suggest to do that? It seems your approach is an active one, i.e., I would need to modulate the encoded light with some sort of light source and encoded after detecting it with a detector, such as a camera, for instance, right?
    I would be more interested in a passive approach, built with lenses, for instance...

netgypsy,

can you give me a link or two for those devices that you spoke about? It seems a good possibility.

Any other ideas?

Thank you all! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook