Cross Phase Modulation in Optical Fibers (Fiber Optics)

Hello everyone.
I have been practicing for my exam in fiber optics, and stumbled upon the following question:

We have a transmission system with 3 channels, composed of a single mode fiber and a dispersion compensation fiber. Specifications are given for each. We need to calculate the channel's frequency spacing in a way that XPM (cross phase modulation is less than 1).

My problem is I cannot figure out what is exactly meant by XPM being less than 1 and what formula relates the cross phase modulation to the channel spacing. I know that the strength of the cross phase modulation increases with the no. of channels and becomes stronger as channel spacing becomes smaller but I cannot figure out how to relate it using an equation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Answers and Replies

Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
How are you defining cross phase modulation? It sounds like a non-linear effect ??? Where would that occur in a fibre?