1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross Phase Modulation in Optical Fibers (Fiber Optics)

1. Nov 24, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone.
    I have been practicing for my exam in fiber optics, and stumbled upon the following question:

We have a transmission system with 3 channels, composed of a single mode fiber and a dispersion compensation fiber. Specifications are given for each. We need to calculate the channel's frequency spacing in a way that XPM (cross phase modulation is less than 1).

My problem is I cannot figure out what is exactly meant by XPM being less than 1 and what formula relates the cross phase modulation to the channel spacing. I know that the strength of the cross phase modulation increases with the no. of channels and becomes stronger as channel spacing becomes smaller but I cannot figure out how to relate it using an equation.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 30, 2015 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How are you defining cross phase modulation? It sounds like a non-linear effect ??? Where would that occur in a fibre?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook