Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimal Filter Coefficients: Correlation versus Least Squares

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1
    I found a claim in a paper (BSSA, Vol 81, No. 6: "A Waveform Correlation Method for Identifying Quarry Explosions", By D.B. Harris) concerning finding filter coefficients. The statement is given without proof. I cannot locate a reference or theorem for the following, and have not been able thus far to justify this claim quantitatively.

Suppose:

\begin{equation}
    \mathbf{v}(t) = \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{N} \int_{-T}^{T} \! a_{k}(t-s) \mathbf{u}_{k}(s) \, ds,
    \end{equation}

Then maximizing the correlation coefficient over filter coefficients a:

\begin{equation}
    \rho(a) = \max_{a} \frac{\left\langle {\mathbf{u}(t), \mathbf{v}(t) } \right\rangle} { \sqrt{\left\langle {\mathbf{u}(t), \mathbf{u}(t) } \right\rangle \, \left\langle {\mathbf{v}(t), \mathbf{v}(t) } \right\rangle}}
    \end{equation}

Is equivalent to:

\begin{equation}
    \min_{a} \int_{-T}^{T} \! \parallel \mathbf{u}(t) - \mathbf{v}(t) \parallel^{2} \, dt,
    \end{equation}

Where the inner product is defined by:

\begin{equation}
    \left\langle {\mathbf{u}(t), \mathbf{v}(t) } \right\rangle = \int_{-T}^{T} \! {\mathbf{u}(t)}^{T} \mathbf{v}(t) \, dt,
    \end{equation}

Qualitatively, this makes sense, of course. I initially attempted to prove this in the frequency domain by making use of the convolution theorem, to reduce the problem into one that looks similar to a Rayleigh quotient. This effort did not yield the correct equations. Turning the community was my last resort.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted