Optimal Placement of Seismographs w/12 Instruments

  • Thread starter Thread starter webbwbb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Placement
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
webbwbb
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I am curious in knowing the something about the "optimal" placements of seismographs in a planet. Assuming you know nothing about the geography of a planet and want to learn the most you can and only have 12 seismographs to use, where would you place them? I honestly do not know if this is the right forum for this topic but it seemed like the most fitting of any here. Thank you for your help.
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
webbwbb said:
I am curious in knowing the something about the "optimal" placements of seismographs in a planet. Assuming you know nothing about the geography of a planet and want to learn the most you can and only have 12 seismographs to use, where would you place them? I honestly do not know if this is the right forum for this topic but it seemed like the most fitting of any here. Thank you for your help.

By seismographs I assume you mean seismometers, i.e. the actual instruments. If you know nothing then put them at an even distribution. What would be the name of the 3-D shape with 12 nodes uniformly distributed over the surface of a sphere? (Note this would not be possible on a planet like Earth with ocean blocking the way of a conventional seismometer. There are practical considerations as well, as it might be technically more difficult (expensive) to achieve perfect spread, but I am ignoring those considerations.)

If you do know something about the geology then you have a different question -- perhaps we can talk about that in a different post?

And yes, this is the right forum for this topic.
 
Thank you. The name of that geometric figure is a dodcahedron. I was able to figure out the coordinates for placement with Google Earth Mars view.