Optimizing Lifeguard Swim Across a River

• Thread starter TheronSimon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Swimming
In summary, a lifeguard who can swim at 1.2 m/s in still water will take 345.22 seconds to reach a dock positioned 550 m across a river with a current of 0.80 m/s. If the lifeguard wants to cross the river in the minimum amount of time, she will land 332.8 m from the dock in 6.94 minutes.
TheronSimon

Homework Statement

A lifeguard who can swim at 1.2 m/s in still water wants to reach a dock positioned perpendicularly directly across a 550 m wide river.

a. If the current in the river is 0.80 m/s, how long will it take the lifeguard to reach the dock?
b.If instead she had decided to swim in such a way that will allow her to cross the river in a minimum amount of time, where would she land relative to the dock? (10 marks)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already figured out a with the Pythagorean theorem and so his avg speed is 1.44 m/s and then t= d/Vavg to give me 347,22 sec and so it will take him 345.22 seconds to reach the dock.
but my question is for b. It has me stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi TheronSimon! Welcome to PF! :smile:
TheronSimon said:
b.If instead she had decided to swim in such a way that will allow her to cross the river in a minimum amount of time, where would she land relative to the dock? (10 marks)

but my question is for b. It has me stumped.

hint: if x is downriver, and y is across the river,

just concentrate on how fast her y coordinate is increasing :wink:

but part A. is correct yes?

and for part b. if i do
t= 500/1.2
t= 416.66s
so she will take 6.94 min to reach the location and then
d= 0.8*416.66
d= 332.8m
so she will land 332.8 m from the dock in 6.9 min

Hi TheronSimon! :wink:
TheronSimon said:
and for part b. if i do
t= 500/1.2
t= 416.66s
so she will take 6.94 min to reach the location and then
d= 0.8*416.66
d= 332.8m
so she will land 332.8 m from the dock in 6.9 min

Yes, that's fine :smile: (except is it 500/12 or 550/12 ?)

550 :P darn typos

Related to Optimizing Lifeguard Swim Across a River

1. How do lifeguards swim to a dock?

Lifeguards are trained to use a variety of swimming techniques to reach a dock, depending on the situation. Some common techniques include the front crawl, breaststroke, and sidestroke. Lifeguards may also use a rescue tube or buoy to aid in their swim.

2. What should a lifeguard do before swimming to a dock?

Before beginning their swim, a lifeguard should assess the situation and determine the safest and most efficient way to reach the dock. They should also ensure that they have the necessary equipment and support from their team, if available.

3. Is it safe for a lifeguard to swim to a dock?

In most cases, it is safe for a trained lifeguard to swim to a dock. However, if the water conditions are rough or the distance is too far, the lifeguard may need to use alternative methods, such as a rescue boat, to reach the dock.

4. How long does it take a lifeguard to swim to a dock?

The time it takes for a lifeguard to swim to a dock can vary depending on the distance, water conditions, and the lifeguard's swimming ability. In general, a trained lifeguard should be able to reach a dock within a few minutes.

5. What are some safety precautions a lifeguard should take when swimming to a dock?

Before swimming to a dock, a lifeguard should ensure that they are wearing a proper personal flotation device and that the dock is sturdy and safe to approach. They should also communicate their intentions with their team and carefully assess the water conditions for any potential hazards.