1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Options for physics BSc graduates outside of academia

1. Aug 16, 2017 #1

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Hi everyone. One of the perennial favourite topics here in the Career Guidance section is the employability of physics graduates, including those with just a BSc degree instead of a PhD.

I've found the following links on Metafilter and Reddit which I thought might be relevant (the last Metafilter posting was from 2010; the Reddit post was from 2013). I was wondering what your thoughts are in terms of their responses in these threads.

http://ask.metafilter.com/157198/Wh...s-do-for-a-living-other-than-flipping-burgers

https://www.reddit.com/r/Physics/comments/1huj6q/for_those_of_us_getting_a_bs_in_physics_what/

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2017 #2

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe that a BS (or even a BA) degree in Physics can get you into Engineering with some extra courses in an engineering discipline. When I worked as a senior level engineer, I certainly would not pass up on a physics major if they applied into my department. My own department manager at the last Engineering firm I worked for had a dual major EE and Physics, so I suspect he would consider a physics major as well.
    Currently I work as a PM in the power industry building relay houses for large power companies. I would be happy to consider a physics major as an engineer at our plant. However, the ideal candidate should have a solid understanding of the basics of electrical theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted