Options for physics BSc graduates outside of academia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,074
Reaction score
1,156
Hi everyone. One of the perennial favourite topics here in the Career Guidance section is the employability of physics graduates, including those with just a BSc degree instead of a PhD.

I've found the following links on Metafilter and Reddit which I thought might be relevant (the last Metafilter posting was from 2010; the Reddit post was from 2013). I was wondering what your thoughts are in terms of their responses in these threads.

http://ask.metafilter.com/157198/Wh...s-do-for-a-living-other-than-flipping-burgers

https://www.reddit.com/r/Physics/comments/1huj6q/for_those_of_us_getting_a_bs_in_physics_what/
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that a BS (or even a BA) degree in Physics can get you into Engineering with some extra courses in an engineering discipline. When I worked as a senior level engineer, I certainly would not pass up on a physics major if they applied into my department. My own department manager at the last Engineering firm I worked for had a dual major EE and Physics, so I suspect he would consider a physics major as well.
.
Currently I work as a PM in the power industry building relay houses for large power companies. I would be happy to consider a physics major as an engineer at our plant. However, the ideal candidate should have a solid understanding of the basics of electrical theory.
.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Dr. Courtney