Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Options for running code on a smart phone

1. Dec 11, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone!

I am an undergrad currently doing research for a nuclear physicist at the University of Notre Dame.

My current project is taking a code (written in Fortran-63 in 1967 ?:)) that calculates relativistic kinematics for two-body nuclear reactions and converting into some sort of phone application that can be easily used in the laboratory.

The problem I've run into is that after looking into Apple and Android app development, it looks like a program like this (especially when it's written by an undergrad without a ton of experience in user-interface) will not make into an app store.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to implement code on a smartphone without having to go through the app store? My thought was maybe through a mobile-friendly web page or something along those lines, but I wouldn't know where to begin implementing that.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

I would start by rewriting the code in a modern language (e.g. Java) and get it to work on a PC. There you can easily experiment with the user interface. When you are satisfied, you can start thinking about transferring it to a smartphone.

4. Dec 11, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A web page with JavaScript or PHP should work. There are multiple ways to make smartphones run your own code, but web pages are by far the easiest one.

5. Dec 11, 2015 #4

Svein

Science Advisor

I agree - but then you are left with the administrative details of getting someone to host the application...

6. Dec 11, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

There are many free and easy-to-use options for that.

7. Dec 12, 2015 #6
    I am planning on converting the code to C++ or Java, but it is the hosting that I've never had experience with.
    Do you have any suggestions on any resources for this?

8. Dec 12, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

I don't want to suggest specific web hosters as I don't have the overview for that. There are many lists. You can choose one, you often get ftp access and/or some web upload interface. Both are easy to use.

9. Dec 12, 2015 #8

jtbell

At a school the size of Notre Dame, I bet the department or university runs a web server that faculty / staff / students can use for hosting personal web sites or pages.

10. Dec 12, 2015 #9

Svein

Science Advisor

Once it was possible to run a personal web server on a Windows PC (I have done it). I do not know whether it is possible anymore...

11. Dec 12, 2015 #10

jtbell

That's probably still possible. I have no experience with doing it under Windows, but I'm running a web server on my Mac at home right now, for local testing of web pages before I publish them on a publicly accessible web server. The main issue for his purposes would be making it publicly accessible which would probably require an arrangement with the university's network staff, or with his ISP if he uses a home internet account.

12. Dec 12, 2015 #11
    Yes, you can run a home web server on Windows OS (I'm not sure about Windows 10). And it's much easier than it once was because of the availability of free installers. However, to make the server public your ISP must allow inbound connects on port 80. You may need a business account with a static IP.

Although I've never done smart phone applications, I tend to agree with the others, using a web server would probably be the easiest route.

13. Dec 13, 2015 #12

Mark44

You can simulate running a server on a Windows machine, and access it through "localhost". You need to set up things using Internet Information Services (IIS) Manage, one of the Administrative Tools in Windows.

14. Dec 13, 2015 #13
    The program you are talking about is not this one by any chance?
    http://web.ornl.gov/info/reports/1967/3445605159119.pdf [Broken]
    There are many different ways of putting this on a phone.
    e.g. You could use QPython - qpython.com
    That allows you to create a python program that can run as a console app, web app or "normal" app. You can even edit the python code on the phone.
    But by far the simplest way of creating an app with a graphical user interface is appinventor.mit.edu. With that you can click together an interface in less than 5 minutes and than add some code with the built in programming "language".
    If you want to make it a web site you have the choice between lots of different web hosters. But since you are at the university of notre dame, why not use their own web publishing services? oithelp.nd.edu/web
    Just create a small website consisting of only an html and a javascript file and upload it there.
    Google Apps Script is another option. It uses javascript and you can publish your code as a web app. Additionally you can also use the same code inside a spreadsheet using google's office products. https://www.google.com/script/start

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook