Or when you look for a clip art of a prism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
11 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Will the real Mr Prism please step forward?
Hornbein
Gold Member
- 4,253
- 3,380
Would it be possible to make a prism with a negative index of refraction?
Mentor
- 29,213
- 4,643
Hornbein said:Would it be possible to make a prism with a negative index of refraction?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative-index_metamaterial
(not that I understand details, I just know they exist)
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
Used them - well, actually senses, but the same idea - in a freshman physics lab I taught. They are air filled, and you make the measurements in a water tank. Concave is focusing.Hornbein said:Would it be possible to make a prism with a negative index of refraction?
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Its sad to see that the illustrations are either poor or flat out wrong and that they got published anyway.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
gmax137 said:I read somewhere
I'm not sure I buy that. There's some stiff competition.gmax137 said:the most widely recognized "logo" worldwide.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 6,962
- 6,042
I presume you meant lenses.Vanadium 50 said:Used them - well, actually senses, but the same idea - in a freshman physics lab I taught. They are air filled, and you make the measurements in a water tank. Concave is focusing.
I recall teaching a sound lab using convex mylar helium filled balloons in air as diverging lenses.
There are general principles that make the light dispersion itself monotonic. As I recall this follows from the Kramers-Kronig relations.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
Yes, thanks.hutchphd said:I presume you meant lenses.
Similar threads
- rkatcosmos
- · Replies 6 ·
- Optics
- Replies
- 6
- Poll
- collinsmark
- · Replies 10 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 10
- honestrosewater
- · Replies 7 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 7
- canopus
- · Replies 7 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 7
- BicycleTree
- · Replies 54 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 54