1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbit Intersection Question (classical mechanics)

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A comet is going in a parabolic orbit lying in the plane of Earth's Orbit. Regarding Earth's orbit as circular of radius "a," show that the points where the comet intersects Earth's orbit are given by:

cos(theta)= -1 + (2*p)/a where p is the perihelion distance of the comet defined at (theta)=0

2. Relevant equations
    Circular orbit: eccenticinty = 0
    Parabolic orbit, Energy = 0, eccentincity = 1

Differential equation of an orbit:

d^2(u)/d(theta)^2 + u = -1/(m*l^2*u^2)*f(u^-1), where f is the function of the central force, u= 1/r, where r is the radius, and l is the angular momentum per mass.

Another representation of the differential equation of an orbit (using energy, and only for an inverse-squared central attractive force):

(du/d(theta))^2 + u^2 = 2E/ml^2 + 2ku/(ml^2); conditions are the same, except k= GM.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok my thought was the solve the differential equations, once I have the solutions set the equations equal to one another and show that the points are predicted by the equation given; however, I don't have enough information given to solve the diff. eqs.

Any other ideas? I am quite stumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Stop using physics. This is a simple geometry problem: Find the intersection of a parabola and a circle. The only physical result that is needed is that the center of the circle and the focus of the parabola are the same point.

4. Jan 20, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to solve the equations of motion. The geometry of the orbits is already given to you. So it's just a geometry problem. Just write down the polar coordinate representations of the two curves and intersect them. It's REALLY easy.

5. Jan 20, 2007 #4
    Thanks for the tips; and yes you were right it was so easy to just think of it in geometric terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?