Orbital mechanics- change of inclination

In summary: Glad to help.in order to change orbital plane impulse velocity should be applied at the nodes of perigee and apogee.
subsonicyouth

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve this problem: What's the delta-v required to change a satellite's inclination from Earth's to Mars' plane? Where should the plane change be done for the minimum velocity change? ( Satellite's transfer will be done with Hohmann transfer orbit.)

Homework Equations

I've found an equation on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_inclination_change)
: dVi= [2sin(di/2)*(thesquarerootof(1-e^2))*cos(W+f)*n*a]/ (1+ecos(f))
where e is the eccentiricity,
W is the argument of perigee,
f is the true anomaly and n is the mean motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

You have to find the mean motion which is the square root of (G*(M+m))/a^3 where M and m are masses of the bodies to solve the eq. What I don't understand, which 2 bodies am I going to use? The masses of Earth and Mars, or Sun and Mars? And, how can I calculate the argument of perigee? Also, I'm not sure but I thought that for the minimum delta-v change the plane change should be done on the apogee. Is it correct?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the attached figure. can you spot where it would be "easiest" to make the orbit inclination change with minimal delta-V?

Attachments

• Fig16.gif
    Fig16.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 627
I think it should be at the intersection point where mars' and Earth's inclination are equal.

subsonicyouth said:
I think it should be at the intersection point where mars' and Earth's inclination are equal.

You mean where the latus rectum of the spacecraft 's orbit meets the spacecraft 's trajectory?

gneill said:
You mean where the latus rectum of the spacecraft 's orbit meets the spacecraft 's trajectory?

Yes, am I wrong?

subsonicyouth said:
Yes, am I wrong?

No, you are right.

:) All right, thanks for your help.

subsonicyouth said:
:) All right, thanks for your help.

Glad to help.

in order to change orbital plane impulse velocity should be applied at the nodes

Related to Orbital mechanics- change of inclination

1. What is meant by "change of inclination" in orbital mechanics?

The inclination of an orbit refers to the angle between the orbital plane and the reference plane, usually the ecliptic or equator. A change in inclination occurs when the angle is altered, resulting in a different orbital path for the object.

2. What causes a change in inclination in orbital mechanics?

A change in inclination can be caused by various factors, including gravitational perturbations from other celestial bodies, thrust from a spacecraft's engines, or collisions with other objects in space.

3. How does a change in inclination affect an object's orbit?

A change in inclination can significantly alter an object's orbit, potentially resulting in a different shape, size, and orientation. It can also impact the object's orbital period and the locations of its closest approach and farthest distance from the central body.

4. Can the inclination of an orbit be changed after launch?

Yes, the inclination of an orbit can be changed after launch through various methods, such as using the spacecraft's engines for a controlled burn, or performing a gravity assist maneuver by flying near a massive object to alter the trajectory.

5. Why is a change in inclination important in orbital mechanics?

A change in inclination can be crucial for certain missions, such as changing the angle of a satellite's orbit to ensure global coverage or aligning with a specific ground station. It can also be used to avoid collisions with other objects or to reach specific targets in space.