Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ordinary Differential Equations by Tenenbaum and Pollard

1. Aug 16, 2015 #1
    I am having a hard time understanding the conditions that set a plane to be called a region.

According to definition 2.68, a set in the plane is called a region if it satisfies the following two conditions (p. 14):

1. "Each point of the set is the center of a circle whose entire interior consists of points of the set."

2. "Every two points of the set can be joined by a curve which consists entirely of points of the set."

I am having a hard time understanding the first condition. Can anyone provide an illustration in order to decipher the first condition meaning?

Thank you for help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I think the counterpoint to 1 would be a boundary point. On the boundary, any circle you draw ( no matter how small ) will include some points from inside the domain and some outside.
    Condition 1 indicates that the region is open. An example might be R2 with 0< x, y< 1. For any point near (0,0) or (1,1) there will exist a value r small enough that you can draw a circle around the point with only members of the region inside.

4. Aug 18, 2015 #3
    Thank you.

5. Aug 21, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. condition 1 is saying that the set does not contain any of its boundary points. The two sets [itex]\{ (x, y)| x^2+ y^2\le 1\}[/itex] and [itex]\{ (x, y)| x^2+ y^2< 1\}[/itex] have the same boundary: [itex]\{(x, y)| x^2+ y^2= 1\}[/itex], the circle with radius 1. The first contains that boundary and is a "closed" set. The second does not contain any point of that boundary and is called an "open" set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook