1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ordinary (Or Partial) Differential Equation Unique Solution

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (d4y)/(dx4) = y. Find the Unique solution y = y(x).

2. Relevant equations
    Boundary Conditions: y(0)=0, y'(0) = 2, y''(0) = 0 , y([tex]\pi[/tex]) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really dont know where to start. I first started off with the guess that y = c1*sin(Ax) + c2*cos(bx). I got some discrepencies that say that c1 was not equal to c1. I also tried getting the characteristic equation, and then seeing if lambda was an eigenvalue, however I"m not completely sure about how to do this.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

that is the same as

[tex]\frac{d^4y}{dx^4}-y=0[/tex]

constant coefficients, so try y=emx

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    It doesnt work because y(0) is never going to be zero, unless the coeffcient in front of it is 0, this y=0. However, usually this is a trivial solution, but in this case that doesnt even work because y'(0) is not = 2

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your equation is satisfied by four functions:

ex, e-x, cos(x), sin(x)

What other possible solutions can you construct?

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5
    Isnt there a systematic way of solving these? or is it just going to be a bunch of guesses?

7. Sep 20, 2009 #6
    So far, my only success at this problem has been when y = 2 sin(x). And i believe thats the end of it. I was just looking for some mathematical way to solve the system.

8. Sep 20, 2009 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Basically, a differential equation of degree n will have n "linearly independent" solutions that form a basis. What that means is that it has n functions that are basically distinct from each other, and every other solution can be constructed by summing multiples of those solutions. ex, e-x, cos(x), sin(x) are all different, so any solution to your differential equation must be of the form

[tex] y=Ae^x + Be^{-x} + Ccos(x) + Dsin(x)[/tex] where A,B,C and D are arbitrary numbers

If you use your four initial conditions, you get four equations and four unknowns.

9. Sep 20, 2009 #8
    Ahh, thank you. I think I knew this, I suppose I just need some clarification. I do believe that y = 2sinx is the only thing that is left after applying all of the intial conditions. Thank you much. =)

10. Sep 20, 2009 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually trying what Office Shredder suggested, instead of complaining that you can't gives, with y= emx, m4emx- emx= 0 or, dividing through by emx which is never 0, m4- 1= 0 or m4= 1. That has four solutions. What are they?

11. Sep 20, 2009 #10
    The four solutions are 1, -1 -i and i.

12. Sep 20, 2009 #11

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

good so putting these together gives the equation Office_Shredder posted as

[tex]y(x)=Ae^x + Be^{-x} + Ccos(x) + Dsin(x)[/tex]

Now use y(0)=0, y'(0) = 2, y''(0) = 0 , y(π) = 0 to get the values of A,B,C and D

13. Sep 20, 2009 #12
    There are 4 equations to solve and they are :
    y(0) = 0 ---> A +B + C = 0
    y(pi) = 0 ---> Ae^pi + Be^(-pi) - C = 0
    y'(0) = 2 - -> A - B + D = 2
    y''(0) = 0 ---> A + B-C = 0

14. Sep 20, 2009 #13

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

yes now solve, it shouldn't be too difficult to do it

15. Sep 20, 2009 #14
    After all of the mathematical shenanigans, I get A = B = C = 0 and D = 2. Therefore, y = 2sinx. and I never complained. lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook