Oreo-Milk Symmetry Breaking (OM-Violation)

In summary, the conversation was about the strange phenomenon of Oreos and milk. When an Oreo is left in milk, it does not become as saturated as when it is held and dipped in the milk. The question is raised as to whether this should be published as a result. The conversation also mentions a documentary about a British physicist and his experiment with biscuits in tea. The conversation ends with a joke about Google's first image search result for "Oreo-Milk Symmetry."
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So I've found the strangest thing with oreos and milk. I have a glass of milk and when I just toss an oreo inside of it and let it sit, even for the longest time, it doesn't really get all saturated with milk and delicious. However, when I hold the oreo while dipping it in the milk, it becomes saturtaed and becomes oh so delicious... why in the world could this happen? It's like the cookie becomes soggy way faster if its held in on its side! Should I publish this result?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it that when I typed http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Oreo-Milk Symmetry&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi" into a Google image search, I got this for the first hit?

antarctica.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
Should I publish this result?
I have seen a documentary involving a british physicist confronting his model to his measurements of biscuit in tea (seriously, I saw it with own eyes, I wish I could find the reference). He did not talk about oreo in milk however, so it is probably original results you have in your hands !

edit
I found him again !
Dr Fisher from Bristol

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rolf: oh my god its true! What the hell is with Google?

Google is spying you!:devil:
Run...I mean waddle ...:uhh:

What is Oreo-Milk Symmetry Breaking (OM-Violation)?

Oreo-Milk Symmetry Breaking (OM-Violation) is a phenomenon that occurs when the traditional way of dunking an Oreo cookie into milk is disrupted by an external force, such as a sudden movement or change in the angle at which the cookie is being held. This results in the breaking of the symmetrical pattern of the cookie and milk, creating an unexpected and unique visual experience.

What causes OM-Violation to occur?

OM-Violation can be caused by various factors, such as the viscosity of the milk, the angle and force at which the cookie is dunked, and even the size and shape of the cookie itself. Additionally, external factors such as vibrations or sudden movements can also contribute to OM-Violation.

Is OM-Violation a common occurrence?

OM-Violation is a relatively rare phenomenon and is not observed every time an Oreo cookie is dunked into milk. It requires specific conditions and external forces to occur, making it a less common occurrence compared to the traditional way of dunking an Oreo cookie.

Can OM-Violation be observed in other food combinations?

While OM-Violation is most commonly observed with Oreo cookies and milk, it is possible to see a similar breaking of symmetry with other food combinations. Examples include dipping a biscotti into coffee or dipping a donut into hot chocolate. However, the specific conditions for OM-Violation may vary with different food combinations.

Does OM-Violation have any scientific significance?

OM-Violation may seem like a simple and insignificant phenomenon, but it can actually provide insights into fluid mechanics and the properties of food materials. Studying OM-Violation can also help us understand the effects of external forces on everyday actions and the impact of these forces on our surroundings.