Type of Reaction for Organic, Nitrogen Compounds in Homework Question?

In summary, the conversation discusses a reaction in which a secondary amine is converted to a primary amine. The type of reaction is debated, but it is ultimately determined to be a deprotection reaction involving an N-trityl group. It is noted that this reaction would not be found in the current syllabus.
Kushal

Homework Statement

Part of a long question:

suggest the type of reaction occurring:

(C6H5)3C-NH-CH(CH3)-CO-NHCH2COOH -----> (C6H5)3C-H + NH2-CH(CH3)-CO-NHCH2COOH

The Attempt at a Solution

what i got in mind is that it could a free radical substitution reaction?! using H2...

and i also realized that the reaction is converting a secondary amine to a primary amine... i don't know how it can be done... although converting a primary amine to a secondary one can easily be done by reacting the amine with an alkyl halide... nucleophilic substitution reaction.

thnks

Physics news on Phys.org
What element has been added to your compound in this reaction? Balance the equation and it will speak for itself.

it seems that hydrogen has been added. but i can't find any type of reaction involving hydrogen like this.

i would rather think of a species which is a stronger nucleophile than the 'ammonium stuff' since the carbon attached to the - NH - has a partial positive charge.

but could it be a reducing reaction?!

Kushal said:
it seems that hydrogen has been added. but i can't find any type of reaction involving hydrogen like this.

i would rather think of a species which is a stronger nucleophile than the 'ammonium stuff' since the carbon attached to the - NH - has a partial positive charge.

but could it be a reducing reaction?!

Yes.

You could also call it a deamination reaction (if you were interested in the alkyl/aryl group) or a dealkylation reaction (if you were interested in the amine fraction of the molecule).

I would call it an N-trityl deprotection reaction of the dipeptide N-(trityl)alanine-glycine.
Deprotection of trityl-substituted peptides can be accomplished by treatment with alcoholic acid. Not a free radical process.

ooo ok... the question is from a past past past exam paper...lol... i guess we won't be getting such questions in the finals... because i didn't find any deamination or dealkylation reaction in the syllabus...

thnks again...:)

1. What are organic, nitrogen compounds?

Organic, nitrogen compounds are chemical compounds that contain carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen atoms in their molecular structure. These compounds are found in living organisms and play important roles in biological processes.

2. What are some examples of organic, nitrogen compounds?

Examples of organic, nitrogen compounds include amino acids, proteins, nucleic acids, and many more. These compounds are essential for the function and structure of living organisms.

3. How are organic, nitrogen compounds important in agriculture?

Organic, nitrogen compounds are important in agriculture as they are essential components of fertilizers and play a crucial role in plant growth and development. These compounds are also important in the nitrogen cycle, which helps maintain soil fertility.

4. Are all organic, nitrogen compounds beneficial?

No, not all organic, nitrogen compounds are beneficial. Some can be harmful to human health and the environment. For example, excess nitrogen in water bodies can lead to eutrophication and harm aquatic life.

5. How are organic, nitrogen compounds studied in science?

Organic, nitrogen compounds are studied in various fields of science, including organic chemistry, biochemistry, and agricultural science. Scientists use various techniques such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and molecular modeling to study these compounds and their properties.