Origin of Logarithmic Functions

In summary, John Napier's method for calculating logarithms involved tedious compilation of tables. The concept of rational exponents was not yet invented, so he used logarithms to find values for real number exponents.
cmcraes
Ive repeatedly asked people and my teachers how to solve logs by hand, and I've always got the same answer "They used tables and/or taylor series" but when i ask how the tables were made no one seems to know. So i am curious as to how John Napier and other mathematicians at the time found the values for their log tables. Was it just repeated trial and error? Is their some repeated algorithm? (other then those damn taylor series Hahaha)

Also how would i calculate BY HAND: 10^k
if we assume K is irrational and/or trancendental? thanks a ton!

Physics news on Phys.org
cmcraes said:
Ive repeatedly asked people and my teachers how to solve logs by hand, and I've always got the same answer "They used tables and/or taylor series" but when i ask how the tables were made no one seems to know. So i am curious as to how John Napier and other mathematicians at the time found the values for their log tables. Was it just repeated trial and error? Is their some repeated algorithm? (other then those damn taylor series Hahaha)

Also how would i calculate BY HAND: 10^k
if we assume K is irrational and/or trancendental? thanks a ton!
How do we calculate logarithms? Well, there are various definitions we can use. For convenience, I'll use the natural logarithm as an example.

Values of the principle branch of the natural logarithm are given by
$$ln(x)=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}n(x^{1/n}-1)=2\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(x-1)^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)(x+1)^{2k+1}}=\int_{1}^{x}\frac{dt}{t}$$

I would not use a Taylor series, as the Taylor series for logarithmic functions tend not to converge very nicely.

As for how to calculate ##10^k## for irrational k, consider the following example.

$$10^\pi=10^{3.1415...}=10^{3+.1+.04+.001+.0005+...}=10^3\cdot 10^{.1}\cdot 10^{.04}\cdot 10^{.001}\cdot 10^{.0005}\cdot (...)$$

cmcraes said:
Ive repeatedly asked people and my teachers how to solve logs by hand, and I've always got the same answer "They used tables and/or taylor series" but when i ask how the tables were made no one seems to know. So i am curious as to how John Napier and other mathematicians at the time found the values for their log tables.

John Napier created his tables at a time when none of these analytic methods were in common use. His method is extremely tedious and very historically limited (the concept of rational exponents was not even invented yet! Logarithms were one of the key ideas that led to the consistent theory of real number exponents). He spent twenty years compiling his first tables. The method and its subsequent modifications can be found in detail in the first and second chapters of the book "e: The Story of a Number", but you can read his transliterated paper here.

Last edited:
Thanks helped a ton! Could you show me how to derive this formula? Also how does it differ from say, common log? Thanks!

Looking over now i see the limit definition makes sense its just the inverse of the limit definition of e correct?

1. What is the origin of logarithmic functions?

Logarithmic functions were first introduced by John Napier in the early 17th century to simplify complex mathematical calculations. However, the concept of logarithms can be traced back to ancient Greek and Indian mathematicians.

2. How are logarithmic functions related to exponential functions?

Logarithmic functions are the inverse of exponential functions. This means that if y = logb x, then x = by. In other words, logarithmic functions "undo" the effects of exponential functions.

3. What is the base of a logarithmic function?

The base of a logarithmic function is the number that is raised to a power in the exponent. For example, in the function y = log2 x, 2 is the base. The most commonly used bases for logarithmic functions are 10 and e (Euler's number).

4. What is the domain and range of logarithmic functions?

The domain of a logarithmic function is all positive real numbers, as the logarithm of a negative number is undefined. The range of a logarithmic function depends on the base, but for most common bases, the range is all real numbers.

5. How are logarithmic functions used in real life?

Logarithmic functions are used in a variety of fields, including finance, biology, and physics. In finance, logarithms are used to calculate compound interest and in biology, they are used to measure the intensity of earthquakes. In physics, logarithmic functions are used to describe exponential decay and growth.