Originlab - Area of the cummulative fit

• Thread starter mkay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Fit
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the integrated area of a third function created by the sum of two Lorentz functions. The question at hand is whether the sum of the areas of the two fits accurately represents the cumulative area of the third function, and whether Originlab 9 provides the mathematical or absolute area. The speaker also asks for additional information to make a proper assessment.
mkay
I have some data and in said data I had 2 peaks, to which I fitted 2 Lorentz functions. The sum of these 2 functions gives me a 3rd function.

Now, I need to find the integrated area of the 3rd function. Originlab gives me the area of the 2 fits, but not of the 3rd function. Summing the area of the 2 fits should give me the area of the 3rd function. However, I'm not sure it does because the 2 fits go below negative (so, an integration would be summing negative numbers to positive numbers). So the question is:

- Can I sum the 2 areas in order to get the cummulative area? Does Originlab 9 give me the mathematical area or the absolute area? I didn't find anything about this whatsoever.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you post some more info? Difficult to advise with the given description!

What is Originlab?

Originlab is a software package used for data analysis and graphing in scientific research. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology.

What is the "Area of the Cumulative Fit" in Originlab?

The "Area of the Cumulative Fit" is a feature in Originlab that calculates the cumulative area under a fitted curve. This can be useful in determining the total amount of data that falls within a certain range or threshold.

How do I use the "Area of the Cumulative Fit" in Originlab?

To use this feature, first create a fitted curve on your graph. Then, go to the "Statistics" menu and select "Cumulative Area." Choose the curve you want to analyze and set the range for the cumulative fit. The resulting value will be displayed on your graph.

Can I customize the "Area of the Cumulative Fit" in Originlab?

Yes, you can customize the range and other parameters for the "Area of the Cumulative Fit" in Originlab. This allows you to tailor the analysis to your specific data and research needs.

What types of data can the "Area of the Cumulative Fit" be applied to in Originlab?

This feature can be applied to a variety of data, including numerical and categorical data. It can also be used with different types of fitted curves, such as linear, polynomial, and exponential curves.