Orthochronous Lorentz Transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that if x2<0, there exists an orthochronous Lorentz transformation L such that Lx = -x. The participants explore an example using xµ=(1,0,0,0) and Λµβxβ=(Λ00x0,0,0,0), which proves the statement to be false. They then discuss the possibility of finding a specific choice of Λ and x that would satisfy the condition, with one participant suggesting to play around with the explicit formula for Λ in different dimensions.
vertices
How can I convince myself of the following statement:

If x2<0, there exists L orthochronous Lorentz tranformation such that:

Lx = -x

My concern is this:

If for example, we take xµ=(1,0,0,0), then Lx in component form is:

Λµβxβµ0x0
=(Λ00, Λ10, Λ20, Λ30).

By definition, if it is an orthochronous LT, we must have Λ00≥1 so it is clear that the statement above is false for this example (as the RHS in the case of our example vector, can't be positive).

Can anyone think of an example xµ that would actually satisfy the condition Lx = -x?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're asking the first question in a way that strongly suggests that the statement is supposed to be true for any x with x2<0. (And the fact that you tried x=(1,0,0,0) must mean that you're using a -++++ metric). But Λµβxβ=(Λ00x0,0,0,0) proves that the statement is false.

Are you really looking for a specific choice of Λ and x such that Λx=-x? It looks impossible to me, but I haven't proved it. I suggest that you try playing around with the explict formula for Λ in 1+1 dimensions:

[tex]\Lambda=\gamma\begin{pmatrix}1 & -v\\ -v & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}[/tex]

(This is in units such that c=1).

Hm...or maybe not. Maybe it won't work in 1+1 dimensions but will work in 2+1 and 3+1 because then you will have the opportunity to flip the sign of two spatial components with a rotation.

1. What are Orthochronous Lorentz Transformations?

Orthochronous Lorentz Transformations are mathematical equations used in the theory of relativity to describe the relationship between space and time for objects moving at different speeds. They were first proposed by physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century.

2. How do Orthochronous Lorentz Transformations differ from other Lorentz Transformations?

Orthochronous Lorentz Transformations are a subset of Lorentz Transformations that only consider transformations between reference frames with a positive direction of time. This means that time always moves forward in these transformations, as opposed to general Lorentz Transformations which can include time-reversal.

3. Why are Orthochronous Lorentz Transformations important?

Orthochronous Lorentz Transformations are important because they help us understand the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on objects moving at high speeds. They are also used in the development of theories such as the theory of general relativity.

4. How are Orthochronous Lorentz Transformations calculated?

Orthochronous Lorentz Transformations are calculated using a set of equations that involve the speed of light, the relative velocity between two reference frames, and the positions and times of events in those frames. These equations are based on the principles of special relativity and use the Lorentz factor to account for the effects of high speeds on space and time.

5. Can Orthochronous Lorentz Transformations be applied to everyday situations?

While Orthochronous Lorentz Transformations were originally developed for use in the theory of relativity, they can also be applied to everyday situations. For example, they can be used to explain the observations of time dilation in high-speed experiments, or to calculate the effects of relativity on GPS satellites. However, in most everyday situations, the effects of special relativity are negligible and can be ignored.