Lorentz transformation for derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lorentz transformation of derivatives in quantum field theory, specifically the transformation of the partial derivatives of a scalar field. After some initial confusion, the participants are able to clarify their understanding and derive the correct equations for the transformation of derivatives in tensor form.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
should ##\frac {\partial} {\partial x ^{\mu}}## transform to ##\frac {\partial} {\partial y ^{\mu}}## or remain unchanged?
Hello again. I am sorry I got another problem when learning QFT regarding the Lorentz transformation of derivatives.

In David Tong's notes, he says
Consider a real scalar field transformed as ##\phi \left ( x \right ) \rightarrow \phi ^{'} \left ( x \right ) =\phi \left ( \Lambda ^{-1 }x \right )##.

Then the derivative of the scalar field transforms as a vector, meaning
##\left ( \partial _{\mu} \phi \right ) \left ( x \right ) \rightarrow \left ( \Lambda ^{-1 }\right ) ^{\nu} {}_{\mu} \left ( \partial _{\nu} \phi \right ) \left ( y \right )## where ##y=\Lambda ^{-1 }x ##

I am not sure how to transform the partial derivatives. Explicitly, should ##\frac {\partial} {\partial x ^{\mu}}## transform to ##\frac {\partial} {\partial y ^{\mu}}## or remain unchanged? And why?

At first, I think since ##x## is transformed to ##y##, then ##\partial x^\mu## should transform to ##\partial y^\mu## as well. However, after I tried the calculation, I found that, the derivative does not transform and it is still ##\partial x^\mu##. I could not find a proper explanation to convince myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take an example:
$$t = \gamma(t' + vx'), \ \ \ x = \gamma(x' + vt')$$
We need the value of the field at the transformed coordinates to be the same physical value as the original field at the original coordinates. Hence:
$$\phi'(t', x') = \phi(t, x) = \phi(\gamma(t' + vx'), \gamma(x' + vt'))$$
Now the derivatives of the field are:
$$\frac{\partial\phi'(t', x')}{\partial t'} = \frac{\partial\phi(\gamma(t' + vx'), \gamma(x' + vt'))}{\partial t'} = \frac{\partial\phi(t, x)}{\partial t}\gamma + \frac{\partial\phi(t, x)}{\partial x}\gamma v$$
Hence:
$$\frac{\partial\phi'(t', x')}{\partial t'} = \gamma \frac{\partial\phi(t, x)}{\partial t} + \gamma v\frac{\partial\phi(t, x)}{\partial x}$$
Now, you just have to generalise that using ##\Lambda## and upper and lower indices on the spacetime coordinates.

Likes Haorong Wu
Thank you very much, @PeroK !I never think it in this way,especially your equation ##\phi'(t', x') = \phi(t, x) ## guide me through the problem. I also learn from them that ##\partial _ \mu \phi^{'}## means ##\frac {\partial \phi \left ( y \right )} {\partial y^\mu}##.

I think the equations in David Tong's note are somehow confusing. After I rewrite it , everything works out.

Let ##\phi \left ( x \right ) \rightarrow \phi ^{'} \left ( x^{'} \right ) =\phi \left ( x \right )## where ##x^{'}=\Lambda x##. Then
##\left ( \partial _{\mu} \phi \right ) \left ( x \right ) = \frac {\partial \phi \left ( x \right )} {\partial x^\mu} \rightarrow \frac {\partial \phi^{'} \left ( x^{'} \right )} { \partial x^{' \mu}}=\frac {\partial \phi \left ( x \right )} { \partial x^{' \mu}}=\frac {\partial \phi \left ( x \right )} { \partial x^{ \sigma}} \frac {\partial x^{ \sigma}} {\partial x^{' \mu}}=\left ( \Lambda ^{-1} \right ) ^\sigma {} _\mu \partial _\sigma \phi##

Cheers!

Likes vanhees71
Hello, @PeroK. I would like to ask some advice about the derivatives in tensor forms.

Given ##\partial _ \mu \phi ^ \nu##, how to calculate ##\partial ^ \mu \phi ^ \nu##, ##\partial _ \mu \phi _ \nu##, and ##\partial ^ \mu \phi _ \nu##?

I have done the calculation. I have
##\partial ^ \mu \phi ^ \nu = \eta_{\mu \lambda} \partial _ {\lambda} \phi ^ \nu##,
##\partial _ \mu \phi _ \nu = \eta_{\nu \lambda} \partial _ {\mu} \phi ^ \lambda##, and
##\partial ^ \mu \phi _ \nu = \eta_{\mu \sigma} \eta_{\nu \lambda} \partial _ {\sigma} \phi ^ \lambda##.

I find these derivatives quite useful, but I do not know whether I have the right derivatives, and I do not know where to go to check them. Do you have any information about them?

Thanks!

[tex]\phi^{\nu,\mu}=\eta^{\mu \lambda} \phi^{\nu}_{\ \ ,\lambda}[/tex]
[tex]\phi_{\nu\ ,\mu}=\eta_{\nu\lambda} \phi^{\lambda}_{\ \ ,\mu}[/tex]
[tex]\phi^{\ \ ,\mu}_{\nu}=\eta^{\sigma \mu} \eta^\nu_\lambda\phi^\lambda_{\ \ ,\sigma}[/tex]
where
[tex]X_{,\mu}=\frac{\partial X}{\partial x^\mu}[/tex]
[tex]X^{,\mu}=\frac{\partial X}{\partial x_\mu}[/tex]

EDIT correction of the third equation
[tex]\phi^{\ \ ,\mu}_{\nu}=\eta^{\sigma \mu} \eta_{\nu\lambda}\phi^\lambda_{\ \ ,\sigma}[/tex]
as pointed out.

Last edited:
Likes Haorong Wu
anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\phi^{\nu,\mu}=\eta^{\mu \lambda} \phi^{\nu}_{\ \ ,\lambda}[/tex]
[tex]\phi_{\nu\ ,\mu}=\eta_{\nu\lambda} \phi^{\lambda}_{\ \ ,\mu}[/tex]
[tex]\phi^{\ \ ,\mu}_{\nu}=\eta^{\sigma \mu} \eta^\nu_\lambda\phi^\lambda_{\ \ ,\sigma}[/tex]
where
[tex]X_{,\mu}=\frac{\partial X}{\partial x^\mu}[/tex]
[tex]X^{,\mu}=\frac{\partial X}{\partial x_\mu}[/tex]

Thanks, @anuttarasammyak .

If I use the metric tensor ##\eta ^{\mu \nu}= \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 &-1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} ##, then whether the indices are upper or lower would be irrelavent. After checking with your equations, I think I got them right.

Thanks!

Haorong Wu said:
Hello, @PeroK. I would like to ask some advice about the derivatives in tensor forms.

Given ##\partial _ \mu \phi ^ \nu##, how to calculate ##\partial ^ \mu \phi ^ \nu##, ##\partial _ \mu \phi _ \nu##, and ##\partial ^ \mu \phi _ \nu##?

I have done the calculation. I have
##\partial ^ \mu \phi ^ \nu = \eta_{\mu \lambda} \partial _ {\lambda} \phi ^ \nu##,
##\partial _ \mu \phi _ \nu = \eta_{\nu \lambda} \partial _ {\mu} \phi ^ \lambda##, and
##\partial ^ \mu \phi _ \nu = \eta_{\mu \sigma} \eta_{\nu \lambda} \partial _ {\sigma} \phi ^ \lambda##.

I find these derivatives quite useful, but I do not know whether I have the right derivatives, and I do not know where to go to check them. Do you have any information about them?

Thanks!

You need to find a reference on tensor notation. The free indices must match on each side of the equation, and you sum over pairs of one upper and one lower index. Your formulas will work out because the metric tensor is the same in upper and lower format.

In flat spacetime we have a four vector in upper and lower index notation:
$$a^{\mu} = (a^0, a^1, a^2, a^3), \ \text{and} \ a_{\mu} = (a_0, a_1, a_2, a_3)$$
Where ##a^0 = a_0 = a_t, a^1 = -a_1 = a_x , a^2 = -a_2 = a_y, a^3 = -a_3 = a_z##

This can be written using the metric tensor ##\eta^{\mu\nu} = \eta_{\mu\nu} = diag(1, -1, -1, -1)##:
$$a^{\mu} = \eta^{\mu\nu} a_{\nu}$$
The derivatives are defined by:
$$\partial_{\mu} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}} \ \text{and} \ \partial^{\mu} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{\mu}}$$
And these are related:
$$\partial^{\mu} = \eta^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}$$
The derivative of a scalar is a four-vector:
$$\partial^{\mu} \phi = \eta^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi$$
And the derivative of a four-vector has upper and lower components:
$$\partial^{\mu} \phi^{\lambda} = \eta^{\mu\nu} \eta^{\lambda\rho}\partial_{\mu}\phi_{\rho}$$

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Haorong Wu
Thanks, @PeroK .

I intentially misuse the upper and lower indices since the metric tensor in QFT seems not to play an important role. (Am I right? I have not met the situations where they are important.)

However, I will use your expression since they would be much more easier to memorize.

Thanks!

From now on, I would just use a metric tensor to lower or raise a indice in the partial derivatives.

Haorong Wu said:
If I use the metric tensor ημν=(10000−10000−10000−1), then whether the indices are upper or lower would be irrelavent.
And
[tex]\eta_{\mu}^\nu=
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0& 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0& 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1& 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0& 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}=\delta_{\mu}^\nu[/tex]

Likes vanhees71, Haorong Wu and PeroK
anuttarasammyak said:
And
[tex]\eta_{\mu}^\nu=
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0& 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0& 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1& 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0& 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}=\delta_{\mu}^\nu[/tex]

But...I do not understand this equation
##\phi^{\ \ ,\mu}_{\nu}=\eta^{\sigma \mu} \eta^\nu_\lambda\phi^\lambda_{\ \ ,\sigma}##

I only get
##\partial ^ \mu \phi _\nu = \frac {\partial \phi _\nu} {\partial x_\mu}=\frac {\eta _{\nu \lambda} \partial \phi ^ \lambda} {\eta_{\mu \sigma} \partial x^ \sigma}=\eta _{\nu \lambda} \eta ^{\mu \sigma} \partial _\sigma \phi ^ \lambda##

Likes anuttarasammyak
You are right. I wrote it with mistake.

anuttarasammyak said:
You are right. I wrote it with mistake.
OK. Thanks, @anuttarasammyak .

@Haorong Wu another important point is the defining property of a Lorentz Transformation:

[itex]\eta_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\rho}\Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\sigma} = \eta_{\rho \sigma}[/itex]

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
@Haorong Wu another important point is the defining property of a Lorentz Transformation:

[itex]\eta_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\rho}\Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\sigma} = \eta_{\rho \sigma}[/itex]

Oh, yes. David Tong mentioned it in his note. Also, I derived that ##\eta_{\mu\nu} \left ( \Lambda ^{-1} \right )^{\mu}{}_{\rho}\left ( \Lambda ^{-1} \right )^{\nu}{}_{\sigma} = \eta_{\rho \sigma}##, hoping this would be correct.

Haorong Wu said:
Oh, yes. David Tong mentioned it in his note. Also, I derived that ##\eta_{\mu\nu} \left ( \Lambda ^{-1} \right )^{\mu}{}_{\rho}\left ( \Lambda ^{-1} \right )^{\nu}{}_{\sigma} = \eta_{\rho \sigma}##, hoping this would be correct.
Well, ##\Lambda ^{-1}## is also a Lorentz Transformation, so that equation must hold!

Likes Haorong Wu and vanhees71

1. What is the Lorentz transformation for derivatives?

The Lorentz transformation for derivatives is a mathematical formula used to convert coordinates and time measurements between different frames of reference in special relativity. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the measurements.

2. How is the Lorentz transformation for derivatives derived?

The Lorentz transformation for derivatives is derived from the Lorentz transformation equations, which describe the relationship between space and time coordinates in two frames of reference moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. By taking the derivative of these equations, the transformation for derivatives can be found.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz transformation for derivatives?

The Lorentz transformation for derivatives is important in special relativity because it allows for the calculation of the rate of change of physical quantities in different frames of reference. This is necessary to accurately describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, as predicted by the theory of relativity.

4. How does the Lorentz transformation for derivatives differ from the regular Lorentz transformation?

The regular Lorentz transformation only deals with the conversion of coordinates and time measurements between frames of reference, while the Lorentz transformation for derivatives also takes into account the change in the rate of change of physical quantities. This is important when studying phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

5. How is the Lorentz transformation for derivatives used in practical applications?

The Lorentz transformation for derivatives is used in various fields of physics, such as particle physics and astrophysics, to accurately describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. It is also used in the development of technologies such as GPS, which require precise measurements of time and space in different frames of reference.