Deriving Lorentz Transformation

In summary, to derive Lorentz Transformation using the length contraction and time dilation equations of relativity, you need to also consider the relativity of simultaneity and the "leading clocks lag" rule. By combining these equations, you can derive the Lorentz Transformation.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

How can we derive Lorentz Transformation using the length contraction and time dilation equations of relativity ?

Homework Equations

##γ = 1/ (\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2})##
##t = t_0γ##
##L = L_0/γ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In position Lorentz Transformation calculations, simply I thought that the distance will get shorter since there's length contraction.
So in galilean transformation the position transformation is ##x= x_0-ut##. So this "length" will get shorther by the amount of ##γ##.
So we have ##x = γ(x_0-ut)##

For the time part I am kind of stuck. I didnt understand where the ##ux/c^2## comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:

Homework Statement

How can we derive Lorentz Transformation using the length contraction and time dilation equations of relativity ?

Homework Equations

##γ = 1/ (\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2})##
##t = t_0γ##
##L = L_0/γ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In position Lorentz Transformation calculations, simply I thought that the distance will get shorter since there's length contraction.
So in galilean transformation the position transformation is ##x= x_0-ut##. So this "length" will get shorther by the amount of ##γ##.
So we have ##x = γ(x_0-ut)##

For the time part I am kind of stuck. I didnt understand where the ##ux/c^2## comes from.

That term is from the relativity of simultaneity. You need that as well to derive Lorentz.

PeroK said:
That term is from the relativity of simultaneity. You need that as well to derive Lorentz.
But how. How can I derive it ?

Arman777 said:
But how. How can I derive it ?
You have to derive the "leading clocks lag" rule and using this along with time dilation and length contraction you can derive Lorentz.

okay I manage to derive it thanks.

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation used in special relativity to describe how measurements of space and time change for observers in different reference frames. It is named after the physicist Hendrik Lorentz.

2. Why is the Lorentz Transformation important?

The Lorentz Transformation is important because it allows us to make precise predictions about how space and time are perceived by observers moving at different speeds. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity and has implications for many areas of physics including electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

3. How is the Lorentz Transformation derived?

The Lorentz Transformation is derived using the principles of special relativity, specifically the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. It involves mathematical calculations and equations that describe the relationship between space and time for objects in motion.

4. What are the key equations in the Lorentz Transformation?

The key equations in the Lorentz Transformation are the time dilation equation, which describes how time appears to slow down for an observer in motion, and the length contraction equation, which describes how objects appear to shrink in the direction of motion. These equations are essential in understanding the effects of relativity on measurements of space and time.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation has many practical applications, including in the design of particle accelerators, GPS technology, and in the study of high-speed objects like spacecraft. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at near-light speeds and in the development of theories in physics, such as the theory of relativity.