Deriving Lorentz Transformation

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date

Homework Statement

How can we derive Lorentz Transformation using the length contraction and time dilation equations of relativity ?

Homework Equations

##γ = 1/ (\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2})##
##t = t_0γ##
##L = L_0/γ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In position Lorentz Transformation calculations, simply I thought that the distance will get shorter since theres length contraction.
So in galilean transformation the position transformation is ##x= x_0-ut##. So this "length" will get shorther by the amount of ##γ##.
So we have ##x = γ(x_0-ut)##

For the time part I am kind of stuck. I didnt understand where the ##ux/c^2## comes from.

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award

Homework Statement

How can we derive Lorentz Transformation using the length contraction and time dilation equations of relativity ?

Homework Equations

##γ = 1/ (\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2})##
##t = t_0γ##
##L = L_0/γ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In position Lorentz Transformation calculations, simply I thought that the distance will get shorter since theres length contraction.
So in galilean transformation the position transformation is ##x= x_0-ut##. So this "length" will get shorther by the amount of ##γ##.
So we have ##x = γ(x_0-ut)##

For the time part I am kind of stuck. I didnt understand where the ##ux/c^2## comes from.
That term is from the relativity of simultaneity. You need that as well to derive Lorentz.

That term is from the relativity of simultaneity. You need that as well to derive Lorentz.
But how. How can I derive it ?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
But how. How can I derive it ?
You have to derive the "leading clocks lag" rule and using this along with time dilation and length contraction you can derive Lorentz.

okay I manage to derive it thanks.