Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal eigenvectors and Green functions

1. Sep 1, 2013 #1
    Hi you all. I have to diagonalize a hermitian operator (hamiltonian), that has both discrete and continuous spectrum. If ψ is an eigenvector with eigenvalue in the continuous spectrum, and χ is an eigenvector with eigenvalue in the discrete spectrum, is correct to say that ψ and χ are always mutually orthogonal? I think the answer is yes. But if I numerically calculate the inner product between ψ and χ, then I find that this is far from zero.

PS
    I work in this way.
    I calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors from the Green operator.
    Specifically, I have the hamiltonian operator

H = H0 + V

H0 has only continuous spectrum. Using a perturbative expansion, I find the Green operator

G(z) = 1/(z-H)

in terms of V and of the Green operator of H0

G0(z) = 1/(z-H0)

So I find that G(z) has a branch cut and one simple pole. This is consistent with various works and books. Then I calculate the eigenvalues and the corrispondent eigenvectors. So I express ψ and χ in terms of a common basis, and using the Fourier coefficients I can calculate the inner product.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2013 #2
    ok I solve it. I have calculated analytically the inner product and I see that it is zero. In fact, I had made ​​a mistake in the numerical calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook