Orthogonality and orthonormality ?

In summary, orthogonality and orthonormality refer to the relationship between vectors and functions in terms of their magnitude and direction. Orthogonal vectors are perpendicular to each other, while orthonormal vectors are also unit vectors. In the context of functions, they are defined through integrals and represent the relationship between different points on the function.
new_986
Orthogonality and orthonormality ??

Hi
What does mean orthogonality and orthonormality physically ? e.g. orthogonal or orthonormal wavefunctions
king regards

Nawzad A.

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you understand what orthogonality and orthonormality means for vectors?

Suppose you have two vectors, a and b. They are orthogonal to each other if:

[tex]\sum_i a_i b*_i = 0[/tex]

Here, b* denotes complex conjugate of b. If b is real, b*=b.

Vector a is a unit vector if

[tex]\sum_i a_i a*_i = 1[/tex]

Vectors a and b are orthonormal if a and b are unit vectors that are orthogonal to each other.
This works for finite number of dimensions. A function can be thought of as a vector in infinitely many dimensions. (Hilbert Space is the formal name). Each point in a function is a component. The x coordinate takes place of index i, and the y coordinate is the magnitude of the function.

So the two functions a(x) and b(x) are orthogonal if:

[tex]\int a(x) b*(x) dx = 0[/tex]

Similarly, a normalized function a(x) is the one that conforms to following condition.

[tex]\int a(x) a*(x) dx = 1[/tex]

Note that I'm not placing boundaries on the integration, even though these should be definite integrals. The reason is that you may want to define your wave functions over all space, in which case integrals are from -∞ to ∞, or over some interval, in which case the integration is done over that interval.

The previous post is a good description.
I just want to add that most physicists use the word orthogonal with the understanding that they really mean orthonormal.

Thank you very much this is the clearest description i think,, i can imagine now

1. What is orthogonality and orthonormality?

Orthogonality and orthonormality are mathematical concepts used to describe the relationship between two vectors. Orthogonality refers to a pair of vectors being perpendicular, or at a 90 degree angle, to each other. Orthonormality refers to a set of vectors that are not only perpendicular, but also have a magnitude of 1 (are unit vectors).

2. How is orthogonality and orthonormality useful in mathematics and science?

These concepts are useful in many areas of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. In linear algebra, orthogonality and orthonormality are used to find solutions to systems of equations. In signal processing, they are used to analyze and manipulate signals. In quantum mechanics, they play a crucial role in understanding the properties of quantum states.

3. What is the difference between orthogonal and orthonormal vectors?

The main difference between orthogonal and orthonormal vectors is that orthogonal vectors are only perpendicular to each other, while orthonormal vectors are not only perpendicular but also have a magnitude of 1.

4. How do you determine if a set of vectors is orthonormal?

To determine if a set of vectors is orthonormal, you can use the dot product. If the dot product (also known as the inner product) of any two vectors in the set is equal to 0, and the magnitude of each vector is 1, then the set is orthonormal.

5. Can a set of vectors be both orthogonal and orthonormal?

Yes, a set of vectors can be both orthogonal and orthonormal. In fact, for a set of vectors to be orthonormal, they must first be orthogonal. Then, the vectors can be scaled to have a magnitude of 1, making them orthonormal.