Proof that the set of stationary states are orthonormal?

In summary: However, for a self-adjoint Hamiltonian, the set of stationary states will be orthogonal. Therefore, in summary, the set of functions representing stationary states in Hilbert space forms an orthogonal set when the Hamiltonian operator is self-adjoint. This can be determined from the underlying mathematics or the physical properties of the system.
Jonsson
Hello there,

I am just starting quantum physics with the textbook by griffiths. My lecturer has told me that the set of functions representing stationary states in Hilbert space forms an orthogonal set. He was however unable to prove it. Furthermore he said that it is not always the case, but didn't know when it was true, just that it often was. From the way Griffiths is writing, it seems perhaps that he isn't sure either.

So my question: When is the set of stationary states orthogonal in with respect to the ordinary relevant inner product
$$
\langle f | g \rangle = \int f^*g\,dx
$$
Can I spot it from the underlaying physics? Or math? It would be good if I could work out when I work with an orthonormal set without having to explicitly integrate to find out.

Hope you are able to help.

Thanks.

Marius

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonsson said:
My lecturer has told me that the set of functions representing stationary states in Hilbert space forms an orthogonal set. He was however unable to prove it.
In mathematics, this result is known as a part of the Sturm-Liouville theory.
See e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dnessett/Sturm-Liouville/Orthogonality_proof
https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Orthogon...-Liouville_Equation_with_Distinct_Eigenvalues
http://www.public.asu.edu/~hhuang38/pde_slides_sturm-liouville.pdf

Thanks for that. However, what are you trying to say? Are you trying to say that ##\psi_n## is solution to the Strum-Louville equation if and only if it induces an orthonormal set -- or something else? Thanks.

Last edited:
Jonsson said:
So my question: When is the set of stationary states orthogonal in with respect to the ordinary relevant inner product
$$
\langle f | g \rangle = \int f^*g\,dx
$$

If you have a Hermitian operator, [itex]\hat{O}[/itex], and a set of states [itex]|\psi_i\rangle[/itex] such that

[itex]\hat{O} |\psi_i\rangle = \lambda_i |\psi_i\rangle[/itex]

then whenever [itex]\lambda_i \neq \lambda_j[/itex], it will also be true that [itex]\langle \psi_i | \psi_j \rangle = 0[/itex]

The proof is pretty simple:

1. [itex]\hat{O}| \psi_j \rangle = \lambda_j |\psi_j\rangle[/itex]
  2. [itex]\langle \psi_i | \hat{O} = \lambda_i \langle \psi_i | [/itex]
  3. From 1., [itex]\langle \psi_i | \hat{O} | \psi_j \rangle = \lambda_j \langle \psi_i | \psi_j \rangle [/itex]
  4. From 2., [itex]\langle \psi_i | \hat{O} | \psi_j \rangle = \lambda_i \langle \psi_i | \psi_j \rangle [/itex]
  5. 3. & 4. are only possible if [itex]\lambda_i = \lambda_j[/itex] or [itex]\langle \psi_i | \psi_j \rangle = 0[/itex]

Likes Demystifier and Jonsson
The standard proof is valid for an operator with pure point spectrum (e.g. a compact operator). The set of stationary states of a general (time-independent) Hamiltonian are not orthogonal for distinct energy levels.

1. What are stationary states?

Stationary states are quantum states that do not change over time. In other words, they are energy eigenstates where the energy of the system remains constant and the probability distribution of the particles does not change.

2. Why are stationary states important?

Stationary states are important because they provide a framework for understanding the behavior of quantum systems. They allow us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state, and they play a crucial role in many quantum mechanical principles and equations.

3. What is the orthonormality of stationary states?

The orthonormality of stationary states means that they are both orthogonal and normalized. Orthogonality means that the inner product of two different stationary states is equal to zero, while normalization means that the squared magnitude of a stationary state is equal to one. Together, orthonormality ensures that the probability of finding a particle in any given stationary state is well-defined and consistent with quantum mechanics.

4. How do we prove that the set of stationary states is orthonormal?

To prove that the set of stationary states is orthonormal, we use the inner product of two different stationary states and show that it equals zero. This is done by taking the integral of the product of the two states and showing that it equals zero. We also show that the squared magnitude of each state is equal to one, which proves that the set is both orthogonal and normalized.

5. What are the implications of the orthonormality of stationary states?

The orthonormality of stationary states has several implications. It allows us to easily calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state, and it ensures that the principles of quantum mechanics are consistent. It also allows us to use the principles of superposition and measurement in quantum systems, and it is a fundamental concept in many advanced quantum mechanical theories and applications.