1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonality of momentum space wavefunctions

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1
    Page 152 Robinett:

Consider the (non-normalized) even momentum space wavefunctions for the symmetric well:,

[tex]\phi_n^+(p) = 2sin(w-m)/(w-m)+sin(w+m)/(w+m)[/tex] where
    w = sin((n-1/2)pi) and
    m = ap/hbar.

Show that

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi_n^+(p)^*\cdot \phi_n^+(p) dp = \delta_{n,m} [/tex]

The hint is to use partial fractions to rewrite the product found in the denominators and then use an integral table.

So, there are there are terms in the expansion of that integrand. Do I need to rewrite all of them in terms of partial fractions?

The first is 2sin(w-m)sin(w+m)/(w-m)(w+m), which I am having trouble with partial fractions. I get A=B=0 for the numerators?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

no, it's 2sin(w-m)(w+m)/(w-m)(w+m).
  4. Aug 10, 2007 #3
    So the integrand is

[tex] \frac{a}{2\pi\hbar} \left(sin^2(w-m)/(w-m) + 2 sin (m-w) sin (w+m)/(w-m)(w+m) + sin^2(w+n)/w+m\right) dp[/tex]

I think I can integrate the squared terms, but I am not sure how to do partial decomposition on the middle term to derive something useful from it.

When I try partial fraction decomposition on that term I get

2 sin(w-m) sin(w+m)/(2n- pi) (1/(w-m) +1/(w+m) )

Sorry. The statement of the problem is wrong. (n-1/2)pi not the sine of that.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  5. Aug 10, 2007 #4
    Sorry. The statement of the problem is wrong. (n-1/2)pi not the sine of that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?