OS and Choice of 32- or 64- bit for VMWare

In summary, the conversation is about setting up a WMWare15 Virtual Machine with an OS, specifically a 64-bit version of Win7 Pro. The person is asking for advice on how to do this without having to uninstall and set up a new one. They later figure out the solution themselves by paying attention during the setup process.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am setting up a WMWare15 Virtual Machine (VMWare Workstation 15 Player, more accurately). It requires the use of an OS. I have a copy of Win7 Pro which I already used successfully _except_ that it was a 32-bit version. Someone who knows more than I told me that it is possible for this copy of the Win7 OS may be used/implemented as a 64-bit version as well. Does anyone know how/if this is
done , before I spend hours setting it up so I don't have to uninstall and set up a new one ultimately? EDIT: I went through the setup process but I have not noticed at any step , being asked to choose on either 32- or 64- bit version for Win7 Pro.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Ok, I figured it out. They required the trickery that I actually pay attention to what I was doing :).

Likes Nugatory

1. What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems?

32-bit and 64-bit refer to the type of processor and the amount of data it can process at one time. A 32-bit processor can handle 32 bits of data, while a 64-bit processor can handle 64 bits of data. This means that a 64-bit operating system can access more memory and perform more complex calculations compared to a 32-bit operating system.

2. How do I determine if my computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system?

In Windows, you can go to the Control Panel and click on System to see the system type. If it says "64-bit operating system", then you have a 64-bit operating system. In Mac, you can click on the Apple logo and select About This Mac to see the system information.

3. Can I install a 64-bit operating system on a computer with a 32-bit processor?

No, you cannot install a 64-bit operating system on a computer with a 32-bit processor. The processor must be 64-bit compatible in order to run a 64-bit operating system.

4. Why would I choose a 64-bit operating system over a 32-bit operating system for VMWare?

A 64-bit operating system is recommended for VMWare because it allows for better performance and the ability to allocate more memory to virtual machines. This is especially helpful for running multiple virtual machines simultaneously or for running resource-intensive applications within a virtual machine.

5. Can I run 32-bit and 64-bit virtual machines on the same operating system?

Yes, you can run both 32-bit and 64-bit virtual machines on a 64-bit operating system. However, you cannot run 64-bit virtual machines on a 32-bit operating system. It is important to match the operating system and virtual machine type to ensure compatibility.