Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows Vista, Linux 32-bit, Linux 64-bit

1. May 11, 2008 #1

I have a couple of questions, I bought a computer a week ago and I thought ( ignorance) that if the processor can manage 64-bit I would have a 64-bit computer, later I noticed that I was wrong. I need a 64-bit OS a BIOS and a couple of other things. But while I was doing my research on this topic I found that there's not many 64-bit applications and drivers. So, I would like to give it a try but without loosing any of my other OS or applications.

My question is, Can I install a 32-bit and the 64-bit Linux in an external hard drive with vista (32-bit) in my main hard drive using a multi-boot application? Do I really need 4GB of RAM to have a 64-bit comp? If 64-bit computers are more faster and have more precision why there still 32-bit computers?

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2
    32-bit applications will run on a 64-bit OS, but not as efficiently as a 64-bit app on a 64-bit OS. You also don't need 4GB of ram on a 64 bit OS... anything under that will work. The reason everything hasn't switched over to 64-bit computing is due to the inefficiency of how a 64-bit OS handles the 32-bit app. For most programs, the speed difference is negligible anyway.

There should also be no problem with having up a multi-boot setup like you're wanting.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?