Oscilations: Bullet collides with wood block on spring

In summary, the bullet embeds itself in a block with a k of 79.0N/m. The amplitude is .256m and the total energy before the bullet enters the block is 1.73m/s. After the bullet enters the block the amplitude is .256m and the total energy is 1.73m/s.
nickb145

Homework Statement

A 6.20g bullet traveling at 485m/s embeds itself in a 1.73kg wooden block at rest on a frictionless surface. The block is attached to a spring with k = 79.0N/m

A)Find the Period
B)Find the Amplitude
C)Find the totla energy of the bullet+block+spring system before the bullet enters the block.
D)Find the total energy of the bullet+block+spring system after the bullet enters the block.

Homework Equations

T=2∏[itex]\sqrt{}k/m[/itex] or T=2∏ω
K=1/2mv
P=1/2kx
X=Acos(ωt)
Vx,max=ωA

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i found the Time T=2πsqrt(1.7362/79)== .931s

Now I'm literally stumped with finding the amplitude. I've tried Vmax=ωA and a few other ways and can't understand what I'm doing incorrectly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with ##V_{max} = \omega A##?

voko said:
What's wrong with ##V_{max} = \omega A##?

I'm not really sure. I used it because i assume that 485 IS the max velocity

That was the velocity before impact. What the velocity of the block with the embedded bullet immediately after impact?

voko said:
That was the velocity before impact. What the velocity of the block with the embedded bullet immediately after impact?

I think using the conservation of momentum will work.

M1V1 + M2V2 = (M1 + M2)V3
.0062(485)+1.73(0)=(1.7362)V3 V=1.73m/s (that is a massive drop)

Yep.

voko said:
Yep.

Interesting.
SO i just take the difference between Vmax and Vmin?
Vmax 485=Sqrt(79/.0062)A A=4.296
Vmin 1.731=-sqrt(79/1.7362)A= -.256

Which i now have is 4.039m. Which mastering physics tells me is incorrect.

The velocity the bullet had before impact has no significance for oscillations. Important is only the velocity of the block. What is the max velocity of the block after impact?

voko said:
The velocity the bullet had before impact has no significance for oscillations. Important is only the velocity of the block. What is the max velocity of the block after impact?

1.73m/s?

Yes.

voko said:
Yes.

So now the Amplitude is .256m using Vmax=sqrt(k/m)A

Looks good.

Likes 1 person
Now for the energy before the bullet strikes.
Before the bullet enters the wood block i just have the kinetic energy of the bullet. Because i assume the spring is at x=0 and that just cancels out the potential energy.

Now for after the collision I used the X=Acos(ωt) to get X. I got .2544 by adding the two masses, used the time and amplitude i originally had.

1/2(1.7362)(1.73)^2+1/2(79)(.2544) I tried this but getting something incorrect. Is it because of what i did to the kinetic energy?

Never mind i figured it out. Thank you very much for the assistance!

1) What is the purpose of studying oscillations?

Oscillations are a fundamental concept in physics that help us understand the behavior of systems that have a repetitive motion. This understanding is crucial in a wide range of scientific fields, from engineering to astronomy.

2) What factors affect the frequency of oscillations?

The frequency of oscillations is affected by the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the block, and the amplitude of the oscillation. It is also affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

3) How does the collision of a bullet with a wood block on a spring affect the oscillations?

When a bullet collides with a wood block on a spring, it transfers energy to the system. This causes the block to oscillate with a larger amplitude and a higher frequency. The energy transferred also depends on the mass and velocity of the bullet.

4) What is the role of the spring in this experiment?

The spring in this experiment acts as a restoring force, which brings the block back to its equilibrium position after the collision with the bullet. It also stores and releases energy, allowing for the oscillations to occur.

5) How does the mass of the block affect the oscillations?

The mass of the block affects the period of oscillation, with a heavier block having a longer period. This is because a heavier block requires more force to move and thus takes longer to complete one oscillation. However, the mass does not affect the frequency of oscillation.