Bullet hits wood block, slides, hits ideal spring: cons. of energy/momentum

In summary, the block of wood slides 1.2 m toward an ideal spring and collides with it, compressing the spring by 20.0 cm. The bullet has an initial energy of 0.05 kg, but the final energy of the system is 1.3 kg.
strangeeyes

Homework Statement

A 50g bullet traveling horizontally at 200 m/s embeds itself in a much more massive wooden block initially at rest on a horizontal surface ( [tex]\mu[/tex]k = 0.10). The block then slides 1.2 m toward an ideal spring and collides with it. The block compresses the spring (k=600.0 N/m) a maximum of 20.0 cm. Calculate the mass of the block of wood.

let (b) represent the bullet and (w) the wood block:
Mb=0.05 kg
Vb=200 m/s
Vw=0 m/s
[tex]\mu[/tex]k =0.10
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d=1.2 m(+ 0.2 m)?
k=600 N/m
x=0.2m
Mw=?
Vw+b'=?

My thinking is that the initial energy of the bullet does not equal the final energy of the system because the bullet would lose energy when it hits the block (through heat, sound etc).

to find an equation to substitute for Vw+b:
MwVw+MbVb=(Mw+Mb)Vw+b
Mw0 + 0.05(200)=(Mw+ 0.05)Vw+b
Vw+b= 10/(Mw + 0.05)

now to put that into the conservation of energy equation:
Et=Et'
Ek=Eth+Ee
0.5Mw+b(Vw+b)2= [tex]\mu[/tex]k(Fn)[tex]\Delta[/tex]d + 0.5kx2
0.5(0.05+Mw)(10/Mw+0.05)2=0.1[9.8(0.05+Mw)]1.2+0.5(600)0.22

can someone tell me if I'm on the right path? i have no clue how to complete the left side algebraically, so it'd be nice to know
if it is even a necessary effort...

also i don't know if the displacement should include the 20 cm the block travels after hitting the spring because at that point it's not just friction acting against the block

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you're on the right track. Your final expression will resolve into a quadratic equation which you'll have to solve to find the mass. I'd suggest moving everything to one side of the "=" and expanding it out, multiplying out all the arithmetic operations you can to reduce the confusion.

thanks, i think I've figured it out. i got Mw=1.3 kg

also, i doubt you remember this, but you were helping me with an explosion question i was having trouble with

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=456273

i got an answer but it's wrong. your help would be greatly greatly appreciated; this problem is driving me mad!

strangeeyes said:
thanks, i think I've figured it out. i got Mw=1.3 kg
You might want to check that answer (plug the value back into the quadratic and see if it produces zero). This particular quadratic has two real roots; one positive and one negative.

also, i doubt you remember this, but you were helping me with an explosion question i was having trouble with

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=456273

i got an answer but it's wrong. your help would be greatly greatly appreciated; this problem is driving me mad!

I'll have a look.

, it's the spring...

I would say that your approach to solving this problem is correct. You have correctly identified the initial and final energies of the system and have used the conservation of energy equation to solve for the mass of the wood block. However, as you have mentioned, there may be some additional factors that could affect the final result, such as the loss of energy due to heat and sound. In order to accurately calculate the mass of the wood block, you may need to take these factors into account. Additionally, it may be helpful to consider the conservation of momentum in this situation, as the bullet and wood block are both initially at rest and then move after the collision. Overall, your approach is sound and with some additional considerations, you should be able to arrive at the correct answer.

1. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is the principle of conservation of momentum related to this scenario?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In this scenario, the momentum of the bullet before and after hitting the spring and wood block must be equal.

3. How does the bullet transfer its energy to the spring and wood block?

When the bullet hits the wood block, it exerts a force on the block which causes it to compress the ideal spring. This compression of the spring stores potential energy, which is then released as kinetic energy when the spring expands back to its original shape, transferring the energy to the block and bullet.

4. What factors affect the amount of energy and momentum transferred in this scenario?

The amount of energy and momentum transferred depends on the mass and velocity of the bullet, as well as the stiffness of the spring and the resistance of the wood block. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role.

5. Can the bullet ever regain its original velocity after hitting the spring and wood block?

No, according to the principle of conservation of energy, some energy will always be lost due to factors such as friction and air resistance. Therefore, the bullet will never regain its original velocity after hitting the spring and wood block.