Bullet Hits Block Attached to Spring What am I doing wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a wooden block of mass 1.83 kg is attached to an unstretched spring with a spring constant of 217 N/m and a bullet with a mass of 8.02 g is fired horizontally into the block at a speed of 394 m/s. The bullet comes to rest inside the block, causing the mass to oscillate on the spring. By using conservation of momentum, it is determined that the resulting oscillation has an amplitude of 0.162 m, assuming there is no friction between the block and the table. However, it is mentioned that the mass of the bullet used in the calculation is incorrect, as a zero was dropped.
sweetpete28
A wooden block of mass M = 1.83 kg is rest on a frictionless, horizontal table attached to the end of an unstretched spring (k = 217 N/m). A bullet of mass m = 8.02 g is fired horizontally into the block at speed vo = 394 m/s. The bullet comes to rest inside the block, and causes the mass to oscillate on the spring. If there is no friction between the block and the table: find A, the amplitude of the resulting oscillation. You can assume the mass never hits the wall (to which the spring is attached.)

Here is what I did, and I really don't see how this is wrong...

By conservation of momentum --> m1v1 = (m1 + m2)v2
(.0082)(394) = (1.83 + .0082)v2
v2 = 1.75759m/s

1/2mv^2 = 1/2kA^2

(1/2)(1.83802)(1.75759)^2 = (1/2)(217)A^2

A = .162m

How is this wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the mass value for the bullet that you used in the calculation of v2.

sweetpete28 said:
A wooden block of mass M = 1.83 kg is rest on a frictionless, horizontal table attached to the end of an unstretched spring (k = 217 N/m). A bullet of mass m = 8.02 g is fired horizontally into the block at speed vo = 394 m/s.

By conservation of momentum --> m1v1 = (m1 + m2)v2
(.0082)(394) = (1.83 + .0082)v2
v2 = 1.75759m/s

You dropped a zero from the mass of the bullet.

ehild

1. How do I know if the block is attached to the spring correctly?

The block should be securely attached to the spring with no gaps or loose connections. When the spring is pulled, the block should move with it.

2. Why is the block not moving when the spring is pulled?

There could be several reasons for this. First, make sure the block is attached to the spring correctly. Also, check the tension of the spring to ensure it is strong enough to move the block.

3. What is the best way to measure the force of the spring?

The force of the spring can be measured using a spring scale or a force gauge. Make sure to attach the gauge to the end of the spring and pull it in the same direction as the block is pulled.

4. Can the angle of the spring affect the movement of the block?

Yes, the angle of the spring can have an impact on the movement of the block. The spring should be pulled straight in line with the block for the most accurate results.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my results?

To improve accuracy, make sure to use the same spring and block for each trial. Also, minimize external factors such as wind or friction by conducting the experiment indoors. Lastly, take multiple measurements and calculate the average for more precise results.