Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other great books like Mathematical Transition by Chartrand

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    I was an electrical engineering student and knew how to utilize the necessary mathematical tools to solve anything that came my way.
    I always had a deep latent predilection for mathematics but due to some constraints I was unable to spare much time on improving my knowledge of the subject on more advanced matters like topology and abstract algebra. There was a bridge that I couldn't see to make the leap to advanced mathematics, hence my vicissitude in reading books on analysis and topology. I end up every time perusing the preface, authors note, table of contents and the first 15 pages before closing the book and forgetting about it.
    I found a book called A Mathematical Transition to Advanced Mathematics by Gary Chartrand. It is so far the best book I have read on mathematics which maybe due to its edifying effects of my long struggles with advanced math textbooks.
    I am now looking forward for a book in Number Theory, Abstract Algebra and Topology to deepen my knowledge. I don't want a book too concise as to get one frustrated or full of prolixity as to make one lose his interest.
    Thank You

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2
    For Algebra, Gallian's "Contemporary Abstract Algebra" is very readable and has a ton of exercises. Wade is a good introduction for Analysis, and Munkrees is the standard for Topology. Do Gallian and Wade before Munkres.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook