1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Our class has only completed ~50% of the Physics B Curriculum

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    Our class has only completed ~50% of the Physics B Curriculum!!

We have done everything except the following: Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Physics, Waves and Optics, and Atomic and Nuclear Physics. We are currently working on Waves and Sound and will probably only be done with optics before the AP exam. That leaves around 40% of material that we haven't covered. How much should I start studying each day for the AP exam? I have Barrons 3rd Ed. and PR 2007 for AP Physics B and my College Physics (Serway,Faughn) text book. Should I use these books conjunctionally or should I just focus on one?

What section that I've listed above should I study first?? I've taken a practice exam and I'm skipped tons of questions (around 20) relating to thermal physics and optics and some nuclear physics. Which sections that I listed in the first paragraph are the easiet to understand? Should I just study the according to the content outline that lists the percentage of expected problems that will appear on the exam? What should I do? Thanks.

Should I worry about depth or breadth at this point? Should I simply go over the equations and basic concepts of each section with the cost of not understanding the concepts in depth or should I focus more on depth than breadth and really dig into the concepts? What should I study after waves?? Thermo and fluid?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2
    Bump. Anyone have any advice please?
  4. Apr 21, 2007 #3
    I didn't take AP Physics so I wouldn't know but I am taking an introductory physics class right now. I am not sure how hard AP Physics is but that sounds like a lot of materials. I would say optics is probably the easiest topic at least as far as math in concern. The formulas (at least in my class) are very straight forward. I don't know how much depth AP actually covers it though because some of the stuff on interference and diffraction (not sure if you guys have to know this for AP) require understanding of waves.

Thermodynamics does not require an understanding of waves. It seems pretty independent from the other topics. From my understanding AP Physics B is the one that doesn't require Calculus right? If that is the case, thermal shouldn't be too bad either.

I don't know much about atomic and nuclear physics. I am assuming that you refer to quantum. I think it sounds the hardest...but then again, I haven't learned anything on the topic yet.

Good luck.
  5. Apr 22, 2007 #4
    wats AP physics??
  6. Apr 22, 2007 #5

Advanced placement physics in the US. If you get a certain score on the AP exam, you are credit with the equivalent course as college credit.
  7. Apr 23, 2007 #6
    Thanks for the replies, anyone else please?
  8. Apr 23, 2007 #7

Homework Helper

That's really hard to say. As far as I remember it, AP Physics B is a more or less a "you know or you don't know" exam. Not too much emphasis on calculations.

Assuming that both the books you have are comprehensive and cover all the material present in the exam, the only reason to you more than one book is that you feel that the explanation in one book is inadequate.

The amount of time that you need for preparation will depend on your own aptitude in the science. Your teacher will probably know this best. Given that thermal physics, optics, and nuclear physics are all equally difficult for you, you should focus on thermal and optics which account for 15% of the examination each. Nuclear and atomic physics only accounts for 10% of the exam.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?