Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Our family dog has bad cancer and is to be put to sleep today

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Our family dog has bad cancer and is to be put to sleep today, we had him as rescue dog 10 years ago, he is now 16 years old, he has all ways been a loyal and friendly dog we shall miss him.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Benji

:cry: Sorry to hear that Wollie! You've just been having a real bad run of luck there lately. Have you been getting too close to Evo?

Lots of us can appreciate how hard it is to lose the furry members of the family. :frown: Hang in there.

4. Aug 28, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Sorry to hear the news Woolie. My thoughts are with you, your family and Benji.

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Sad news, Woolie. My wife and I have given up on keeping pets - it's just too wrenching to let them go.

6. Aug 28, 2008 #5

That's sad, Pal, I've been there too, too many times. Never get used to that.

7. Aug 28, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Mom and dad are to upset they did not want to bury him at home, it would be a constant reminder, so i am going to have his ashes.

8. Aug 28, 2008 #7

I'm sorry about your dog. Please don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean anything disrespectful, I'm just curious. I assume you are like most of the people here and you probably don't believe in souls and life after death. Why would you want to keep the ashes? I know when my dog died I was devastated and I cried like a baby all day, but I viewed my dog's body as nothing more than a piece of trash and I threw it in the dumpster. I'm not saying you should do that or that I was right to do that. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are and why you will have your dog cremated and then keep the ashes. I'd like to understand why.

9. Aug 28, 2008 #8

If your dog has bad cancer then you should look at today as the day you get to take away the pain. Cancer is so horrible, so be happy that your dog will not feel the pain. Your dog would thank you for it I'm sure.

10. Aug 28, 2008 #9

That's the battle between feeling and reason, isn't it? To find a way to cope with the inevitable faith of all critters.

11. Aug 28, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Tribdog, I really can not answer that, i guess deep down i have some religious beliefs.

12. Aug 28, 2008 #11

Had the same situation a couple of months ago. Good luck.

13. Aug 28, 2008 #12

We can't all be perfect

14. Aug 28, 2008 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wolram, I am so sad to hear that. They really are like part of family, they are so loving and trusting and are so devoted to us.

You really are going through a tough time. Know that you have a lot of friends here that care about you very much.

15. Aug 28, 2008 #14

and I'm here too.

16. Aug 28, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Awwww, thanks, everyone here is just so cool.

17. Aug 28, 2008 #16

Its such a sad time when one of our furry friends departs. I feel really sorry for your Mom and Dad. Please let them know we are thinking about them.

18. Aug 28, 2008 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh, I'm so sorry, Wolram. Really sorry.

19. Aug 28, 2008 #18

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks hypatia, MIH, mom and dad will be lost without benji.

20. Aug 29, 2008 #19

~christina~

Gold Member

=( That's awful. At least you had him longer than my dog. He died at 11.

21. Aug 29, 2008 #20

Sorry to hear that, but at least your in control of it, and its for the right cause, its so much worse when its something like them getting run over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?