Out-of-plane bending stress on an I-beam

In summary, out-of-plane bending stress on an I-beam is the stress that occurs when a force is applied perpendicular to the plane of the beam, causing it to bend outwards. This stress can be calculated using the formula σ = My/I and is affected by factors such as the applied force, beam length and shape, and material properties. Exceeding the yield strength of the material can cause the beam to fail or deform, reducing its strength. To reduce out-of-plane bending stress, the beam can be designed with a larger cross-sectional area, stronger material, or additional support structures.
gmreit
TL;DR Summary
out of plane bending stress
I know the out of plane bending stress equation for a curved I beam but I am trying to figure out where it came from. sigmaR = tFlange * sigmaNormal/(radius of curvature)

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to define what you are thinking about as "out of plane." This is out of what plane?

I think I may have figured it out. Let me finish what I have on paper

7574460E-E933-4059-A0B5-2FC75674E61E.jpeg

Did you find the answer? (Some texts in the picture are not readable).

1. What is out-of-plane bending stress on an I-beam?

Out-of-plane bending stress on an I-beam refers to the stress that occurs when a force is applied perpendicular to the plane of the beam, causing it to bend.

2. How is out-of-plane bending stress calculated?

Out-of-plane bending stress is calculated by dividing the bending moment by the section modulus of the beam. The bending moment is the product of the applied force and the distance from the force to the point of interest on the beam, while the section modulus is a measure of the beam's resistance to bending.

3. What factors can affect out-of-plane bending stress on an I-beam?

The factors that can affect out-of-plane bending stress on an I-beam include the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the shape and size of the beam, and the material properties of the beam.

4. How does out-of-plane bending stress impact the strength of an I-beam?

Out-of-plane bending stress can significantly impact the strength of an I-beam. If the stress exceeds the beam's yield strength, it can cause permanent deformation or failure of the beam. It is essential to consider out-of-plane bending stress when designing and selecting I-beams for structural applications.

5. How can out-of-plane bending stress be reduced?

Out-of-plane bending stress can be reduced by increasing the section modulus of the beam, using a stronger material, or changing the orientation of the beam to align with the direction of the applied force. Additionally, proper design and reinforcement techniques can also help reduce out-of-plane bending stress on an I-beam.