Plastic bending - analytical calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses plastic bending of beams and what can be calculated in such cases. A book recommendation for calculating bend radii and springback is mentioned, and the need for separately integrating stress vs distance from the neutral axis is emphasized. A formula for deflection of a cantilever beam with a rectangular section and point load is provided, and it is noted that stresses cannot exceed yield stress in this case.
FEAnalyst
TL;DR Summary
What can be calculated analytically for a beam subjected to plastic bending?
Hi,

I have a question regarding plastic bending of beams (assuming bilinear elastoplastic material - with or without hardening) . In literature one can find calculations of load capacity for those beams. But what else can be calculated in such case ? Stresses ? Deflection ? Where can I find appropriate formulas for some simple sections such as rectangular one?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In plastic bending, part of the beam is experiencing elastic strain, part is experiencing plastic strain, and the neutral axis moves toward the inside of the bend. A quick look in Metal Forming - Mechanics and Metallurgy by Hosford and Caddell found procedures for calculating bend radii and springback. I see that this book is now in the fourth edition: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107004527/?tag=pfamazon01-20. If you really want to analytically calculate metal deformation with plastic strain, get this book.

I took the class in the early 1990's, and don't remember much because I never used it. I do remember the need to separately integrate stress vs distance from the neutral axis for elastic and plastic strain, which implies that a single formula might be difficult to derive. Especially if you want to include strain hardening, strain rate hardening, and neutral axis shift.

Likes FEAnalyst
Problem solved - in an old Polish book ("Elasticity and plasticity. A selection of tasks and examples" by W. Krzys and M. Zyczkowski) , I've found a formula for the deflection of a cantilever beam having rectangular section and subjected to point load at the free end (assuming elastic perfectly-plastic material): $$y_{max}=\frac{20 b^{2} h^{3} Q^{3}}{27 E P^{2}} - \frac{2 \sqrt{3} b h L Q^2}{3 E P} \cdot \left( 1- \frac{P L}{b h^2 Q} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - \frac{4 \sqrt{3} b^2 h^3 Q^3}{9 E P^2} \cdot \left( 1- \frac{P L}{b h^2 Q} \right)^{\frac{3}{2}}$$
where: ##b## - beam section's width, ##h## - half of beam section's height, ##Q## - yield strength, ##E## - Young's modulus, ##P## - force magnitude, ##L## - length of the beam.

Stresses in the plastic regime can't exceed yield stress in this case since the material is perfectly plastic.

More complex cases (simply-supported beams, materials with hardening, perhaps other types of cross-sections) should also be possible to solve analytically but would require more extensive derivations.

Likes berkeman

1. What is plastic bending?

Plastic bending is a mechanical process in which a material, such as plastic or metal, is bent beyond its elastic limit, causing permanent deformation.

2. How are analytical calculations used in plastic bending?

Analytical calculations are used to predict the behavior of a material during plastic bending, such as the amount of force needed to bend the material and the resulting deformation.

3. What factors affect plastic bending?

The factors that affect plastic bending include the material's yield strength, the amount of force applied, the shape and thickness of the material, and the type of bending process used.

4. What are the advantages of using analytical calculations in plastic bending?

Using analytical calculations allows for a more precise and efficient prediction of the material's behavior during plastic bending, which can help in the design and optimization of the bending process.

5. Are there any limitations to using analytical calculations in plastic bending?

While analytical calculations can provide valuable insights into plastic bending, they may not always accurately reflect the real-world behavior of a material. Other factors, such as surface defects or variations in material properties, may also affect the bending process.