Overlap of two spin one-half states.

In summary: The only other thing you need to do is solve for |<n';+|n;+>|^2.In summary, the problem involves finding the overlap of two spin states defined by unit vectors n and n', and showing that it is controlled by half the angle between the unit vectors. This can be done by writing the vectors in terms of the polar and azimuthal angles, carrying out the scalar product, and solving for the overlap. The solution may be tedious, but it is straightforward.
Nosebgr

Homework Statement

Consider a spin state |n; +> where n is the unit vector defined by the polar and azimuthal angles θ and φ and the spin state |n'; +> where n' is the unit vector defined by the polar and azimuthal angles θ' and φ'. Let γ denote the angle between the vectors n and n':

n⋅n'
= cos(γ)

Show by direct computation that the overlap of the associated spin states is controlled by half the angle between the unit vectors:

|<n';+|n;+>|^2 = cos^2(γ/2)

Homework Equations

The spin one-half state along an arbitrary direction can be written as n = (cos(θ/2) , exp(iφ)sin(θ/2))
I am assuming that this is the only definition needed in order to solve the problem. I don't think knowing the spin operator would help in this case.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can understand the relation given in the problem conceptually, however the mathematics just wouldn't give me the result. My attempt is writing down the two vectors in terms of the two angles (two for each), and then doing the multiplication. At this stage, it is not much more than a math problem to be honest however I would like to see the correct approach/proof nevertheless. Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to help out.
There is no need to post the whole solution, you are welcome to do so, however the statement of the correct approach would be enough.

Source: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-05-quantum-physics-ii-fall-2013/assignments/MIT8_05F13_ps3.pdfhttp://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-05-quantum-physics-ii-fall-2013/assignments/MIT8_05F13_ps3.pdf
Second question in the problem set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The link you posted doesn't work for me. I think this will work
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-05-quantum-physics-ii-fall-2013/assignments/MIT8_05F13_ps3.pdf

The problem is tedious but fairly straightforward. You have the right idea:
My attempt is writing down the two vectors in terms of the two angles (two for each), and then doing the multiplication.

You will also need to carry out the scalar product on the left side of n⋅n' = cos(γ) in order to relate cos(γ) to the polar and azimuthal angles of n and n'.

1. What is meant by "overlap of two spin one-half states"?

The overlap of two spin one-half states refers to the amount of similarity or correlation between two quantum states that have a spin of one-half. This is a measure of how much the two states have in common and can be used to determine the degree of entanglement between the states.

2. How is the overlap of two spin one-half states calculated?

The overlap of two spin one-half states is calculated using the inner product or dot product of the two states. This involves multiplying the complex conjugate of one state by the other state and then taking the absolute value of the result. The closer this value is to 1, the greater the overlap between the two states.

3. What does a high overlap between two spin one-half states indicate?

A high overlap between two spin one-half states indicates a strong correlation or similarity between the two states. This can be interpreted as a high degree of entanglement between the states, meaning that measuring one state will provide information about the other state.

4. Can the overlap of two spin one-half states be negative?

No, the overlap of two spin one-half states cannot be negative. This is because the inner product used to calculate the overlap involves taking the absolute value, which ensures that the result is always positive. A negative result would indicate an anti-correlation between the states.

5. How is the overlap of two spin one-half states related to quantum entanglement?

The overlap of two spin one-half states is a measure of the degree of entanglement between the states. A high overlap indicates a high degree of entanglement, meaning that the states are highly correlated and measuring one state will provide information about the other state. A low overlap indicates a low degree of entanglement, meaning that the states are less correlated and measuring one state will not provide much information about the other state.