Proof of allowed and forbidden electron state transition.

In summary: So, in summary, to determine if a transition is forbidden, we can compute the expectation value of the electron's position vector using wave functions for both the initial and final states. If the integral over all space is zero, then the transition is forbidden. In this particular case, we need to find the wave function for the final state, which is determined by the quantum numbers n>0, L=0, and mL=0. After computing the integral over r, we can use the orthonormality of the spherical harmonics to compute the integral over θ and φ. If all three integrals are non-zero, then the transition is allowed.
Send BoBs

Homework Statement

One way to establish which transitions are forbidden is to compute the expectation value of the electron’s position vector r using wave functions for both the initial and final states in the transition. That is, compute ∫ΨfrΨidτ where τ represents an integral over all space, and Ψf and Ψi are the final and initial states. If the value of the integral is zero, then the transition is forbidden.

Use this procedure to show that a transition from a L=1, mL=0 to a L=0 state is allowed.

Homework Equations

∫ΨfrΨidτ
R21(r)=Are^(-r/2a), A=1/(a^(5/2)2√6)
Y10(θ,φ)=1/2√(3/π)cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Just plug in values and solve. Easy!

But wait, I don't know what ψf is. The first state is the 2p state so I can find it's wave equation but the L=0 state has no other given quantum numbers.

I know that n>0, L<n and |mL|≤L so from what is given, the final state is n>0, L=0 and mL≤0.

So what do I do about the value of n and mL? How do I find the wave equation for the final state?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If L = 0, then there is only one possible value for mL.

Likes Send BoBs
Oops. |mL|≤L, L=0, mL=0

I believe this would be the 3s state. Time to solve the integral.

Last edited:
Send BoBs said:
Oops. |mL|≤L, L=0, mL=0
Yes

I believe this would be the 3s state. Time to solve the integral.
Why would n = 3? The problem statement in the first post doesn't give any information about the initial or final value of n. I believe you only need to worry about the angular integrals over ##\theta## and ##\varphi##.

TSny said:
Yes

Why would n = 3? The problem statement in the first post doesn't give any information about the initial or final value of n. I believe you only need to worry about the angular integrals over ##\theta## and ##\varphi##.

I believe the integral over r is also important here since the integral is over 3D space. So r ##\theta## and ##\varphi## are all important. I was going into this with the assumption that ψ(r,##\theta##,##\varphi##)=Rnl(r)Ylml(##\theta##,##\varphi##) would be how I describe each states wave equation. Of course this requires me take the quantum number n from a given chart of number configurations and results in a rather lengthy integral that already makes me think my method is wrong.

But why would the radial wave function not play a part here?

Send BoBs said:
But why would the radial wave function not play a part here?
There is no particular reason why the integral over r would be zero, so you can take it to be non-zero. In contrast, the integral over θ, φ can be shown to be zero except for special cases.

I think I have a better understanding now.

If I can show that each r,##\theta##,##\varphi## integral ≠ 0 then the transition should be valid. I know that the radial wave integral will be some non zero value and the ##\varphi## integral would just be 2π so I should be able to compute the ##\theta## integral and have my answer.

Send BoBs said:
If I can show that each r,##\theta##,##\varphi## integral ≠ 0 then the transition should be valid. I know that the radial wave integral will be some non zero value and the ##\varphi## integral would just be 2π so I should be able to compute the ##\theta## integral and have my answer.
That sounds good.

Send BoBs said:
I think I have a better understanding now.

And don't forget that the spherical harmonics are orthonormal ...

kuruman said:
And don't forget that the spherical harmonics are orthonormal ...
The integral includes ##\mathbf{r}##.

Likes kuruman
DrClaude said:
The integral includes ##\mathbf{r}##.
Yes, of course. Thanks for the reminder.

1. What is "Proof of allowed and forbidden electron state transition?"

Proof of allowed and forbidden electron state transition refers to the demonstration of the existence and characteristics of energy levels within an atom or molecule, and the rules governing the transitions between these levels.

2. What are the allowed and forbidden electron state transitions?

Allowed transitions refer to the changes in energy levels that are permitted based on the selection rules, while forbidden transitions are those that violate these rules and are therefore less likely to occur.

3. How is the proof of allowed and forbidden electron state transition obtained?

The proof is obtained through various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy, which involves the analysis of the light emitted or absorbed by the atom or molecule. The patterns and intensities of the spectral lines provide evidence for the existence and properties of the allowed and forbidden transitions.

4. Why is understanding allowed and forbidden electron state transitions important?

Understanding these transitions is crucial in various fields of science, such as chemistry and astrophysics, as they provide insights into the behavior and properties of matter at the atomic and molecular level. They also play a significant role in the interaction of matter with electromagnetic radiation.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rules of allowed and forbidden electron state transitions?

Yes, there are exceptions to the selection rules, which are usually observed in highly excited or complex systems. These exceptions can provide further insights into the structure and dynamics of atoms and molecules, but they are less commonly observed compared to the allowed transitions.