Oxygen atmosphere without ozone layer

In summary, the idea is that if the planet already had its Great Oxygenation Event and life forms including human beings were able to breathe there freely, then there would be no oxygen layer or any other plausible mechanism which would practically preclude any daily life forms on the surface.
Czcibor
OK, so I would like the following idea:
-planet which already had its Great Oxygenation Event and life forms including human beings would be able to breath there freely
-no oxygen layer or any other plausible mechanism which would practically preclude any daily life forms on the surface (all life aquatic, nocturnal, or insaniously shielded)

OK, so how can we get rid of ozone in natural way? Higher amount of fluorine in crust and it comes from volcanoes? Any hard SF idea?

(Brighter star which would have most of its radiation in UV? But they are shortlived...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps a gamma ray burst took the ozone-layer out (by forming NOx in the upper atmosphere) but it wouldn't do so permanently.

Perhaps chloromethane is a plant hormone or something, released by an organism that is in turn favored by the conditions it causes?

vemvare said:
Perhaps a gamma ray burst took the ozone-layer out (by forming NOx in the upper atmosphere) but it wouldn't do so permanently.

Perhaps chloromethane is a plant hormone or something, released by an organism that is in turn favored by the conditions it causes?

How to get it on permanent basis? A neutron star not far away? (if yes, then how close)

Logic tells me gamma ray burst wipes not only the ozone layer, but also life on the planet. Unless it is OK to have a dead planet with just oxygen (but then oxygen level goes down with time).

Borek said:
Logic tells me gamma ray burst wipes not only the ozone layer, but also life on the planet. Unless it is OK to have a dead planet with just oxygen (but then oxygen level goes down with time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_protection#Shielding

Which degree of protection against gamma ray would I require? Leaving only 1/1000,000th? In this case 3.6 m of water, so a shallow lake could achieve that.

Because it seems that photosynthesis under perfect conditions can work below 200 m under surface:

http://books.google.pl/books?id=AZC...r_esc=y#v=onepage&q=algae light depth&f=false

(Or do I overlook something?)

Two thoughts later: even if it will work (I mean: GRB strong enough to wipe out ozone layer, but weak enough to spare the life), I don't think it will work for your purposes. Ozone layer rebuilds itself on a relatively quick timescale in the presence of UV.

Borek said:
Two thoughts later: even if it will work (I mean: GRB strong enough to wipe out ozone layer, but weak enough to spare the life), I don't think it will work for your purposes. Ozone layer rebuilds itself on a relatively quick timescale in the presence of UV.

I don't think about one time GRB, but nearby pulsar. (opinion about it?)

1. What is an oxygen atmosphere without an ozone layer?

An oxygen atmosphere without an ozone layer refers to a scenario where the Earth's protective layer of ozone is significantly depleted. This results in lower levels of ozone in the atmosphere, making it less effective in blocking harmful UV radiation from reaching the Earth's surface.

2. How does the depletion of the ozone layer affect living organisms?

The depletion of the ozone layer can have harmful effects on living organisms. UV radiation can damage DNA and increase the risk of skin cancer in humans and other animals. It can also impact the growth and survival of plants, affecting the food chain and biodiversity.

3. What causes the depletion of the ozone layer?

The depletion of the ozone layer is primarily caused by human activities, such as the release of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) into the atmosphere. These chemicals break down ozone molecules, leading to the thinning of the ozone layer.

4. Can the ozone layer repair itself?

Yes, the ozone layer has the ability to repair itself through a natural process called the ozone cycle. However, this process can be disrupted by human activities, making it difficult for the ozone layer to fully recover.

5. What are the consequences of a depleted ozone layer?

The consequences of a depleted ozone layer can include an increase in skin cancer cases, damage to crops and marine life, and disruptions to the Earth's climate. It can also lead to higher levels of UV radiation, which can have harmful effects on human health and the environment.