1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P(x)dx of a one-dimensional harmonic oscillator

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    The displacement of a harmonic oscillator is given by

x = A Cos(wt + Phi)

The phase angle phi is equally likely to have any value in the range 0 < Phi < 2Pi, so the probability W(Phi) that Phi lies between Phi and Phi + delta-Phi is delta-Phi/(2Pi). For a fixed time t, find the probability P(x)dx that x lies between x and x+dx by summing W(Phi)delta-Phi over all angles for which x lies in this range. Express P(x) in terms of A and x.

I know that for a harmonic oscillator, the total energy is

E = p^2/(2m) + kx^2/2

where the momentum p is

p = mx' = -mAwSin(wt + Phi)

I can solve the problem using px phase space, where the area between E and E+dE forms a elliptical band of area s, and P(x)dx = (dp/dE)(dE/ds)dx, but I'm only supposed to do it that way for the second part of the problem (which I won't reproduce here). If I did that part correctly, the answer is dx/(Pi Sqrt(A^2 - x^2)), but I'm having a hard time setting up the equations needed to evaluate an integral with respect to the phase angle.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2008 #2
    i've got the exact reverse problem. i can get your result by summing W(phi) over all angles for which x lies, but i'm off by a factor of 1/(mw^2A) when i try the ratio of areas in phase-space. let's help each other out
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?