3d harmonic oscillator, probability m=0

In summary: Thanks.In summary, the problem asked me to derive an expression for the stationary wave function of the 3d harmonic oscillator which I have done. It then tells me a particle is in the stationary state $$\psi_{100}(x,y,z)=\psi_{1,0,0}(x,y,z)$$and to express this in spherical coordinates.
Ziggy12

Homework Statement

The problem asked me to derive an expression for the stationary wave function of the 3d harmonic oscillator which I have done. It then tells me a particle is in the stationary state $$\psi_{n_x,n_y,n_z}(x,y,z)=\psi_{100}(x,y,z)$$
and to express this in spherical coordinates. (This is I have done too)
The question is, what is the probability that a measurement of the quantum number m, will return the value m=0?

Homework Equations

$$\psi_{1,0,0}(x,y,z)=
\left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar}\right)^{3/4}\sqrt{\frac{2m\omega}{\hbar}}xe^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}(x^2+y^2+z^2)}
$$

$$\psi(r,\theta,\phi)=
\left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar}\right)^{3/4}\sqrt{\frac{2m\omega}{\hbar}}r\sin(\theta)\cos(\phi)e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}(r^2)}$$(What I have derived)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how this quantum number $$m$$ is related to $$n_x,n_y,n_z$$ and have no idea how to find this probability. The probability to find a particle in a particuliar state is usually given by the constants $$|c_n|^2$$.
Is that what am I supposed to calculate?Regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a 3D problem, but only a 1D relevant equation.

If m is the quantum number related to orbital angular momentum (or a component of it), then you probably need to approach the problem in an appropriate coordinate system (most likely spherical).

Somewhere along the way, the potential and the Hamiltonian and the Schrodinger equation will also be relevant.

Thanks for your answer.
Yes sorry, it seems I forgot the y and z components. It supposed to be
$$\psi_{1,0,0}(x,y,z)=
\left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar}\right)^{3/4}\sqrt{\frac{2m\omega}{\hbar}}xe^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}(x^2+y^2+z^2)}
$$

And the energy levels are:
$$E_{n_x,n_y,n_z}=\left(n_x+\frac12\right)\hbar\omega+\left(n_y+\frac12\right)\hbar\omega+\left(n_z+\frac12\right)\hbar\omega$$

Yes I changed to spherical coordinates, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it.
In spherical coordinates we get:
$$\psi(r,\theta,\phi)=
\left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar}\right)^{3/4}\sqrt{\frac{2m\omega}{\hbar}}r\sin(\theta)\cos(\phi)e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}(r^2)}$$

Last edited:
If the magnetic quantum number m=0, then the obital quantum number l is also zero. This can only happens in the ground state. Correct me if I'm wrong.
So basically it asks me what the probability of this state to spontaneously jump off from this state to the ground state?
But if I know that the particle in the given state, then another measurement should return me the same value. This means the probability is zero?

I was expecting spherical harmonics with the corresponding quantum numbers.

Well I don't know those, that's the point. I don't know how $$n_x,n_y,n_z$$ relates to the quantum numbers $$n,m,l$$

Look at the table at the bottom of this link http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node244.html
There you can see how you should expect the state in Cartesian representation should expand to in the spherical representation in each subspace specified by each energy level. It's then a simple matter to calculate the expansion coefficient since you also have found the expression of the ##100## state in spherical coordinate.

1. What is a 3D harmonic oscillator?

A 3D harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory behavior in three dimensions. It is a type of potential energy function that describes the motion of a particle in a three-dimensional space, such as a vibrating molecule or a pendulum.

2. What is the significance of the probability m=0 in a 3D harmonic oscillator?

The probability m=0 is the probability of finding the particle in the ground state of the 3D harmonic oscillator. This means that the particle has the lowest possible energy and is located at the center of the oscillator. It is an important concept in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the energy levels of the system.

3. How is the probability m=0 calculated in a 3D harmonic oscillator?

The probability m=0 in a 3D harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the wave function, which describes the spatial probability distribution of the particle. The square of the wave function at the center of the oscillator gives the probability of finding the particle in the ground state, which is m=0.

4. What is the difference between a 3D harmonic oscillator and a 1D harmonic oscillator?

The main difference between a 3D and 1D harmonic oscillator is the number of dimensions in which the particle can oscillate. A 1D harmonic oscillator only has one degree of freedom, whereas a 3D harmonic oscillator has three degrees of freedom. This results in different energy levels and wave functions for each system.

5. How does the energy of a 3D harmonic oscillator change with increasing quantum number m?

The energy of a 3D harmonic oscillator increases with increasing quantum number m. This is because as m increases, the particle's wave function spreads out and has a larger spatial extent, resulting in higher energy levels. The ground state of the oscillator has m=0 and the energy increases in increments of 1 for each subsequent energy level.