1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Painter (another Equilibirum problem)

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A physics student of mass mm = 95 kg gets a summer job painting houses. On his first project, he builds a platform using large pine board with a mass of mb = 50 kg The board has an overall length of L = 8.5 meters and set on two 1 meter tall saw horses so that l = 2.25 meters overhangs each side as shown above.

Later that day, after thinking about how cool rotational dynamics really is, the student decides to conduct an experiment. He removes one of the supports and places the other one 1/3 of the way from the left edge. Standing at the end of the board, he has his girl friend place paint cans, each of mass mc = 1.59 kg, on the opposite end. How many cans will the girl have to place on the board to provide the best balance? (You may neglect the small length of the board that both the man and the cans occupy. Assume both are points at the ends of the board.)

https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/phys2111/fall/homework/Ch-12-Equilibrium/painter/painter_3.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

torque = rFsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    torque(A) = (1/3)mass(man)g - (2/3)*g*mass(cans) - (1/2)*g*mass(board) = 0
    torque(A) = (1/3)*95*9.81 - (2/3)*9.81*m(cans) - (1/2)*9.81*50 = 0

I think for the mass of the cans I got 9.94 (finding the number of cans is easy), and I dont think its correct. I think I'm missing something, any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Check your calculation.
    You can rewrite the second equation by canceling 9.81. It becomes
    1/3*95 - 1/2*50 = 2/3*m
    Now solve for m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook