What angle should the board be placed?

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Board
In summary, a wooden block with mass .0507 kg is placed at the midpoint of a 1m long wooden board, where the coefficient of kinetic friction (mk) = .275, and at what angle should the board be placed so that the block takes time .387 s to slide to the lower end of the board?
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A wooden block with mass of .0507 kg is placed at the midpoint of a 1m long wooden board, where the coefficient of kinetic friction (mk) = .275, at what angle should the board be placed so that the block takes time t = .387 s to slide to the lower end of the board? You may find a spread sheat program helpful in answer this question

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know:

[itex]Fg = .0507 kg * 9.81[/itex]
[itex]Fn = Fgcos(\Theta)[/itex]

mk = .275
That means Fk (force of kinetic friction) [itex] Fk = mkFgcos(\Theta) [/itex]

here I use f = ma
[itex]Fgsin(\Theta) - Fgcos(\Theta)mk = m * a [/itex]

[itex]Fg(sin(\Theta) - mkcos(\Theta)) = m * a [/itex]

since Fg = mass* 9.81 the two masses cancel leaving

[itex] 9.81(sin(\Theta) - mkcos(\Theta)) = a [/itex]

Now I use:

[itex] \Delta x = V_{0x}t + (1/2) a_x t^2 [/itex]

[itex] 1/ (.378^2 * 9.81) = (sin(\Theta) - mkcos(\Theta)) [/itex]

1/(.378^2 * 9.81)= .6806268265 which I will just call "c."

So now I end up with

[itex] Sin(\Theta) = c + mkcos(\Theta) [/itex]
[itex] Cos(\Theta) = ( c-sin(\Theta) )/( -mk ) [/itex]
[itex] \Theta = arcsin(c+ mkcos(\Theta)) [/itex]
[itex] \Theta = arccos( (c-sin(\Theta) )/( -mk )) [/itex]

Now this is as far as I've reached.

[itex] \Theta = arcsin(c+ mkcos(\Theta)) = arccos( (c-sin(\Theta) )/ (-mk)) [/itex]

but I see no possible way of solving this for Theta...

My biggest hint was:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1873196

Which said "x^2 + y^2 = 1"

But I don't understand and don't think I can use this because x and y are sides, correct? While I'm dealing with angles...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TomHart said:
Sin(Θ) = c + mkcos(Θ)
It looks good up to here.

What is wrong with the statement sin theta = c + mkcostheta ??

and thanks for the link I appreciate it very much!

Rijad Hadzic said:
What is wrong with the statement sin theta = c + mkcostheta ??
I didn't see anything wrong with it. I thought it was correct. and I thought c = 0.6806 was correct also.

TomHart said:
I didn't see anything wrong with it. I thought it was correct. and I thought c = 0.6806 was correct also.

Oh okay, ty.

Hey I noticed in your link that it is using sin/cos instead of arccos(x)/arcsin(y).

Can I still approach my problem the same way though?

You're facing one of those cases where the function you want to find the solution for is transcendental. You won't find a simple closed form solution using your usual toolbox of functions and algebra. This is why the problem hinted that a spreadsheet program might be useful. Can you think of way to make use of that tool?

EDIT: I may have been too hasty in declaring the problem transcendental. An algebraic approach is tedious but possible. See later posts.

Last edited:
Rijad Hadzic said:
Hey I noticed in your link that it is using sin/cos instead of arccos(x)/arcsin(y).
Why are you asking that? Where did arccos and arcsin come from? Am I missing something?
Part IV gives a nice example.

NOTE: I did not actually try to work out the solution. @gneill may be right that there is not a "simple closed form solution".

gneill said:
You're facing one of those cases where the function you want to find the solution for is transcendental. You won't find a simple closed form solution using your usual toolbox of functions and algebra. This is why the problem hinted that a spreadsheet program might be useful. Can you think of way to make use of that tool?

Hmm I see. I'm trying to think of a way that a spread sheet program would help, they mean one like excell, right?

Also I think I will close this thread in a minute or two as it seems like it would take me forever to find the solution for theta, but one last question...

At what point in my academic career will I be able to solve such an equation for theta? Obviously it seems very tedious but I am pretty interested in learning to solve these types of equations... What field of math is this?

TomHart said:
NOTE: I did not actually try to work out the solution. @gneill may be right that there is not a "simple closed form solution".
I may have been too hasty myself o:). While algebraically tedious, the method shown in your link will get you to a solution after much toil, and you need to beware of false solutions that crop up due to repeated squaring. So I take back what I said about the "usual toolbox" being inadequate.

It's still much easier to solve numerically though...

Rijad Hadzic said:
Hmm I see. I'm trying to think of a way that a spread sheet program would help, they mean one like excell, right?
Right. You could do it graphically by plotting the time versus θ or plot ##sin(θ) - \mu_k cos(θ)## and see where it equals c. Or you could use a solver to find the solution numerically, or program your own (a search function like binary search, or a solver like Newton's Method).
Also I think I will close this thread in a minute or two as it seems like it would take me forever to find the solution for theta, but one last question...

At what point in my academic career will I be able to solve such an equation for theta? Obviously it seems very tedious but I am pretty interested in learning to solve these types of equations... What field of math is this?
Basic numerical methods (like Newton's Method) are covered at the college level and more advanced methods at the university level.

Rijad Hadzic said:
You came up with the equation: sinθ = 0.6806 + 0.275cosθ
Or, rearranging: sinθ - 0.275cosθ - 0.6806 = 0, which I think is correct.

What I did was just made an Excel spreadsheet column to represent the angle θ, that ranged from 0° to 90° in 0.1° increments. Of course, for Excel you have to convert the angle to radians (unless there is a way to perform sin and cos functions using degrees that I don't know about). Then you just make another column that performs the math of the equation for each and every angle. Whatever angle causes that function to equal 0 is the right answer. Without giving away the exact answer, I got somewhere in the 50° to 60° range.
DISCLAIMER: My answers are not always correct. :)

TomHart said:
You came up with the equation: sinθ = 0.6806 + 0.275cosθ
Or, rearranging: sinθ - 0.275cosθ - 0.6806 = 0, which I think is correct.

What I did was just made an Excel spreadsheet column to represent the angle θ, that ranged from 0° to 90° in 0.1° increments. Of course, for Excel you have to convert the angle to radians (unless there is a way to perform sin and cos functions using degrees that I don't know about). Then you just make another column that performs the math of the equation for each and every angle. Whatever angle causes that function to equal 0 is the right answer. Without giving away the exact answer, I got somewhere in the 50° to 60° range.
DISCLAIMER: My answers are not always correct. :)

I think your answer is correct this time though :)

Was your answer about 56 degrees?

I'm glad to know that using technology on such a question is EXPECTED, because it would be reallly tedious to do such a problem on a test.

Try Newton's Method. Starting with an initial "guess" of 45 degrees, two iterations will get you an answer good to 3 decimals.

Rijad Hadzic said:
I think your answer is correct this time though :)
This falls under the blind chicken theory: Even a blind chicken gets a kernel of corn every once in a while. :)

Rijad Hadzic said:
Was your answer about 56 degrees?
I got about 56.4.

gneill said:
Try Newton's Method. Starting with an initial "guess" of 45 degrees, two iterations will get you an answer good to 3 decimals.
Will do. I will have to learn it by myself first though, apparently Newton's method is taught in Calculus I in most schools, but I was never taught Newtons method -_-

Thank you all for the help though I wish you all the best in your endeavors

1. What is the ideal angle for placing a board?

The ideal angle for placing a board depends on the purpose of the board. If it is a presentation board, a 45 degree angle is recommended for optimal visibility. If it is a drafting or drawing board, a 30 degree angle is commonly used to reduce strain on the neck and back.

2. How do I determine the angle for a specific board?

The angle for a specific board can be determined by considering the intended use and the user's comfort. For drafting or drawing, the angle should be adjusted to the user's natural posture. For presentations, the angle should be adjusted so that the board is easily visible to the audience.

3. Can the angle of the board be adjusted?

Yes, the angle of most boards can be adjusted. Many drafting and drawing boards come with adjustable legs or stands to change the angle. Presentation boards may also have adjustable stands or can be propped up with books or other objects to achieve the desired angle.

4. What angle is best for writing or typing on a board?

For writing or typing on a board, a flat or slightly angled surface is best. A 0-10 degree angle is recommended for writing or typing to avoid strain on the wrist and forearm. Some boards have built-in features, such as a ledge or lip, to keep papers from sliding down when writing.

5. Are there any safety considerations when adjusting the angle of a board?

Yes, safety considerations should be taken into account when adjusting the angle of a board. Make sure the board is stable and secure before using it. Avoid extreme angles that may cause the board to tip over. Be mindful of any sharp edges or corners when adjusting the angle of the board.