Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pair production differential cross section

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

In one of my classes, I should give a talk about pair production cross section in front of the class and so I'm now searching for resources. But I can't find a place where the differential cross section for pair production process is given. Anyone knows somewhere I can find it and , preferably, its derivation?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Pair production of what, by what?
    There are many pairs, and many collision processes that can lead to pairs.

4. Apr 5, 2015 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Sorry, I meant electron-positron pair production by photons passing by nuclei.

5. Apr 5, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Google "electron positron pair production cross section" gives many relevant hits like this or that, for example.

6. Apr 5, 2015 #5

ShayanJ

Gold Member

The first link is actually a numerical calculation of total cross section for different materials. But I wanted to find a closed form for the differential cross section.
    The second link seems to give that but I don't know what a quadruply differential cross section is!
    Based on your hint, I searched myself and found this, which gives closed forms for the total cross section in different energy regions. But actually I just know that using differential cross section, its possible to calculate the probability that a particle scatters in a particular direction but I don't know how the total cross section can be useful!
    Is it that there is no closed form for the differential cross section for this process and all the calculations are numerical?

7. Apr 5, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I think you mixed first and second link.
    It is the differential cross-section you are interested in, in terms of energy and direction of the produced particles.

8. Apr 5, 2015 #7

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I got it. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook