Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pairs of observables in uncertainty principle

1. Dec 18, 2015 #1
    Observables are paired up in the uncertainty principle such that we can't measure both to a high degree of accuracy. Specifically, ## \sigma_x \sigma_y>\frac{\hbar}{2} ## where ## \sigma_x ## and ## \sigma_y ## are the standard deviations of our measurements.

I've got two lines of questions related to this.

1: How are observables specified by physicists? Is an observable any physical action you can carry out to obtain a number?

I suspect that when people say "Position is an observable", they really mean: "Given an object O, the position of O is an observable". So the abstract idea of 'position' is not an observable, but rather a function that takes a physical system and outputs an observable. Is that correct?

2: How are observables paired off in the uncertainty principle? Given one observable, can you find the other? (if I specified a position observable to you, could you define the corresponding momentum observable from it?)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

In the formalism of quantum mechanics, an observable is represented by a Hermitian operator.
    If the operators corresponding to two observables do not commute, then there will be an uncertainty relationship between them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook