Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper folding and mathematics?

1. Jan 8, 2006 #1
    I was reading on wikipedia when i stumbled through this article on paper folding which said:

Paper folds can be constructed to solve square roots and cube roots; fourth-degree polynomial equations can also be solved by paper folds. The full scope of paper-folding-constructible algebraic numbers (e.g. whether it encompasses fifth or higher degree polynomial roots) remains unknown.

fascinated, i started looking for what they meant by this; are they really saying you can solve z^5 = 1 just by paper fodling? then again, i couldn't find any resources on this notion. could anyone care to explain? thanks again
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I remember correctly, paper folding can do anything that a straightedge and compass can do. (and more, of course) (Well, I mean it can find any point and any line that can be found with straightedge and compass. Of course, I can't draw a circle with paper folding)

I can solve z^5 = 1 with a straightedge and compass, so I can solve that with paper folding too. :tongue2:

What they're saying is that it is unknown if paper folding can find roots for all 5-th degree polynomials.
  4. Jan 9, 2006 #3
    Although I haven't read the papers too extensively, I actually thought that this was settled by Roger Alperin's work back in 2000 published in the New York Journal of Mathematics.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?