Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between constructibility of reg. polygons and cot(pi/N)

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1
    Full title: Relationship between the constructibility of regular polygons and the reducability of trigonometric functions into expressions of square roots.

I stumbled upon this after I derived the formula for the area of a triangle given it's side length x as a trigonometry exercise. ## A = \frac{1}{2}\sin{(60°)}x^2 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}x^2 ##. I challenged myself to find the area formulas for every N-gon until I found a pattern. I did square, pentagon, and hexagon using basic trigonometry, and reducing the trigonometric functions into square root expressions using Wolfram.

Things started to get weird when I got to heptagon or the 7-gon, though. Wolfram wouldn't reduce it, and my area equation was made ugly by the presence of a trig function. (I spent a good few hours researching how to find exact trig values by hand using the half-angle formula et al, before I realized it was impossible)

Then I tried to find a general angle formula, but I couldn't write the later trigonometric functions in terms of sine. Eventually I figured out cot() is the only one that works (but I don't know why). This general pattern popped out at me:

$$ A = \frac{N}{4}\cot{\frac{\pi}{N}} $$

After I got to the 11-gon I started noticing another pattern: Whether or not the function ##\cot(\frac{\pi}{N})##, where N is the number of sides, is reducible has the same truth value as whether or not a given polygon is constructible. (I was amazed by this). Also, the relative complexity of each square-root expression is correlated with the relative complexity of the construction of that polygon. (As first seen with the long and convoluted 17-gon)

The wiki page for the 17-gon mentions that its area and constructibility was determined by Gauss 200 years ago, while he was going through this thought process, sqeeee!). It also claimed he had a method of determining whether cot(pi/N) was in general reducible, based on some property of "fermat" primes.

________________________________________________________________________________

I had two other non-trivial observations:

1. The square root expression of cot(pi/N) has a similarity with cot(pi/(2N)). Something to do with the half angle formula, maybe.

2. If cot(pi/N) cannot be reduced, then cot(pi/(2N)) cannot be reduced either.

I also found the entry in the OEIS of the integer sequence of non-constructible polygons:
    http://oeis.org/A004169

It mentions a generating function, but I don't know what the "totient function, phi" is yet.

I can research what the totient function is on my own, but...

_______________________________________________________________________________

I have four challenging questions that I think this board will be interested in:

1. Does there exist a general algorithm for determining the exact value of ##\cot(\frac{\pi}{N})## in terms of square roots if such an expression exists?

2. Likewise, is there a general algorithm to derive the steps of constructing a regular polygon with a number of sides ##N##?

3. Does there exist a linear-time algorithm for converting a square-root expression into a set of polygon construction steps?

Beyond a certain degree of self-interference and complexity, a system can be used as an analogue to a Turing machine (i.e. it can be used for arbitrary computation). If a system is beyond that point, it makes certain statements about that system undecidable, such as if it will enter into an infinite-regress or not.

4. If you had infinite time, infinite paper, and an unmarked ruler and compass - could you do the same set of problems as a Turing machine?

_________________________________________________________________________________

Here's my observations on the possible answers:
    * I suspect questions 1 and 2 have the same truth value.
    * I suspect question 3 is true (there is a linear time algorithm for converting between a square-root expression and a set of instruction for polygon construction)
    * I suspect question 4 is the negation of questions 1 and 2.

NOTE: I won't be disappointed with answers like "One could write a whole original book on this topic, nobody knows yet." I just want to encourage discussion on an interesting problem. I'm about to leave for class, so I won't be back for a while.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2
    bump

/10word

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook