cup
- 27
- 0
To clarify: you should look around to find out if there is any formalism for squaring the dirac delta function.
If there isn't then the starting point of the derivation is unfounded.
cup said:I didn't read trough this thread very carefully, but are you sure that you are allowed to do the manipulations
[tex] U = \frac{1}{2\mu_0} \int (\mathbf{B} + \mathbf{B}_{dip})^2 d^3r [/tex]
[tex] U = \frac{1}{2\mu_0} \int (B^2 + B^2_{dip} + 2 \mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{B}_{dip})d^3r[/tex]
On [tex]\mathbf{B}_{dip}[/tex] which contains the dirac delta function?
I think it might work out if you consider [tex]\mathbf{B}_{dip}[/tex] as a weird function defined in terms of the dirac delta function from the beginning, instead of plugging it in at the end of the calculation, having assumed it to be ordinary.
To make sure that is not a problem, this was worked out with finite sources (a spinning sphere of charge has a non-zero magnetic dipole moment outside, a constant field inside, and all other multipole moments are zero). The answer is exactly the same (you don't even need to take the limit the size goes to zero because it is a perfect dipole ... but you could if you want, and of course it reproduces the "point" dipole).cup said:To clarify: you should look around to find out if there is any formalism for squaring the dirac delta function.
If there isn't then the starting point of the derivation is unfounded.
Sam, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but can you please work out the problem yourself to check? Your comments are not making any sense, and I think this is because you haven't worked out the problem yourself.Sam Park said:If Bd and Bf really always have the same sign, then clearly the integral of Bf*Bd must be positive, so I'd suggest focusing on the question of whether they really always have the same sign. Remember it's a dot product of two vectors. Which way do those two vectors point?
JustinLevy said:Sam, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but can you please work out the problem yourself to check? Your comments are not making any sense, and I think this is because you haven't worked out the problem yourself. Bd and Bf are vector fields. Their direction and magnitude are defined at every point.
JustinLevy said:Please, if you insist the math in my calculation is faulty, please try working it out yourself so you can be convinced and we can move beyond that. For I am convinced the error is not in the calculation itself, but in the assumptions we've made in writing down / applying the equations to the physics.
This is inherently different, for now Del.B is not zero. In particular, the field between the "charges" now is in the opposite direction. (A "point" magnetic dipole made this way would have a different constant in front of the term that contributes at the origin.)Sam Park said:Representing magnetic dipoles as two equal and opposite “magnetic charges”, we can carry through the derivation of the potential energy of a given dipole in a given magnetic field.
Yes.Sam Park said:The derivation is essentially identical to the case of electric dipoles. Are you saying this derivation is inapplicable in the magnetic case?
JustinLevy said:This is inherently different, for now Del.B is not zero. In particular, the field between the "charges" now is in the opposite direction. (A "point" magnetic dipole made this way would have a different constant in front of the term that contributes at the origin.)
The form of the delta is quite well established in the one photon Breit-Fermi interaction betweenSam Park said:Well, there are multiple distinct field configurations that possesses the same effective dipole moment u, but all of them have potential energy -u*B, so the particular choice of configuration doesn't matter.
Since the field configuration I described explicitly has a magnetic dipole moment of u, and since it gives consistent results for the field energy, the "paradox" has at least been reduced. What would help now is for you to specify precisely what field configurations (with dipole moment u) have internal energy opposite to the internal energy of the configuration I described. This might help to isolate the source of the problem. First, show that your field configuration has a dipole moment of u, and second, show the calculation that implies it has potential energy +u*B. I don't think you've ever shown the first part of this for your example.
Hans de Vries said:The form of the delta is quite well established in the one photon Breit-Fermi interaction between the proton and the electron which need to be right in order to predict the 21 cm hydrogen line.
JustinLevy said:cup,
PLEASE read what I wrote in the previous post.
This was also worked out with finite sources for all the fields, and the answer is still the same (before even taking the limit that the dipole goes to a point dipole, which of course you can take if you want and you get the same result).
...
Okay, I'll try to type something up.cup said:Well, please show me the finite derivation you speak of.
That integral is zero. It is a multiplication of two different spherical harmonics (legendre polynomials) which are orthogonal, so the result is zero.cup said:Why do you ignore Uoutside?
It does matter. I just gave an example where it is clear that it matters.Sam Park said:Well, there are multiple distinct field configurations that possesses the same effective dipole moment u, but all of them have potential energy -u*B, so the particular choice of configuration doesn't matter.
I don't agree with that.Sam Park said:So, I suspect the original poster is evaluating the change in energy at constant current, and therefore getting the negative of the relevant value, which is the change in energy at constant flux.
In fact this is just like defining the energy of a charge q in a potential field [itex]\Phi[/itex]Hans de Vries said:The correct solution is using the interaction term [itex]I\cdot A[/itex] instead of the EM field energy.
That is mathematically equivalent to the energy in the fields. They are related by vector calc identities (and definitions of maxwell's equations and the potentials). This is derived in most textbooks, so I hope we can agree the A.j and the (E^2+B^2) method is identical.Hans de Vries said:The correct solution is using the interaction term [itex]I\cdot A[/itex] instead of the EM field energy.
JustinLevy said:That is mathematically equivalent to the energy in the fields. They are related by vector calc identities (and definitions of maxwell's equations and the potentials). This is derived in most textbooks, so I hope we can agree the A.j and the (E^2+B^2) method is identical.
If you don't agree, please point out where the textbooks made an unstated (and possibly incorrect?) assumption. For I don't currently see how your statements provide a solution to the problem here.
B_dip is the field of the dipole we are orienting with respect to a source field B which is a constant field everywhere the current of B_dip is. In fact, the source field B is constant in an arbitrarily large region around the current of B_dip. You can take the limit of R -> infinity if you want the region in which the source field is constant to be infinite (ie. a constant external field everywhere).cup said:Justin,
In the finite case, can you state clearly what [tex]\mathbf{B}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf{B}_{dip}[/tex] are chosen to be, and why this should represent the desired physical situation as [tex]R \to \infty[/tex]?
JustinLevy said:Hans,
The [itex](\rho V + \mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{j})[/itex] and [itex](E^2+B^2)[/itex] methods are mathematically equivalent as shown by several textbooks. If you want to argue against these textbooks, please show us mathematically why they are NOT the same despite their proofs.
You can't argue against a proof in textbooks by noting things unrelated to this situation, and then stating "maybe" the textbook proof is therefore wrong. Work out this problem using A.j if you don't believe me. You will get the same answer.Hans de Vries said:3) maybe you want to add electric amd magnetic dipoles as examples where it fails...
I'm not saying that "textbooks are wrong". These are your words. You must be referringJustinLevy said:You can't argue against a proof in textbooks by noting things unrelated to this situation, and then stating "maybe" the textbook proof is therefore wrong. Work out this problem using A.j if you don't believe me. You will get the same answer.
I'm sorry if I am getting snappy, but I am getting frustrated by your insistence that the textbooks are wrong here without showing any math. I've reread the derivation in two textbooks now. The two methods are equivalent for this situation. If you are going to continue to disagree with the textbooks, show your A.j calculation.
Hans de Vries said:3) maybe you want to add electric amd magnetic dipoles as examples where it fails...
In both cases the [itex]E^2+B^2[/itex] method gives a different result as the A.j methodJustinLevy said:Work out this problem using A.j if you don't believe me. You will get the same answer.
JustinLevy said:I don't agree with that. Here's a quick derivation of the energy to orient a dipole with constant current: ... So, contrary to your claims, deriving with a constant current (constant dipole) condition does NOT lead to the wrong sign. It yields the correct sign.
JustinLevy said:A "perfect" dipole made from monopoles has a magnetic field different from a "perfect" dipole made from a current density.
JustinLevy said:Also, as already mentioned, an electron or proton have a constant dipole moment ... (so this would be like the "constant current" method you claim is the invalid one), yet we know experimentally the energy should be described as U = - m.B for these particles.
You are disagreeing with the textbooks. You can't take the stance that the textbooks are correct, and that you are correct, without contradicting yourself.Hans de Vries said:I'm not saying that "textbooks are wrong". These are your words.
The only requirement is that you are asking about the energy of a system in which the fields are currently constant in time in the system.Hans de Vries said:You must be referring to undergraduate textbooks which make statements valid in a limited context only.
Because, if you are disagreeing with a textbook, it should be your onus to prove your point. Instead, here I am, wasting time reproducing a proof that you should have just gone and looked up if you still disagreed with the textbooks. It is very frustrating.Hans de Vries said:If this is all relevant for your particular (static) situation is something else. For so far you haven't responded to the suggestions I made about this in my last post.
No, that is just flat out wrong. Again, unless you wish to disagree with textbooks and disagree with maxwell's equations and vector calc identities.Hans de Vries said:In both cases the [itex]E^2+B^2[/itex] method gives a different result as the A.j method applied on the dipole in isolation. The A.j method is correct. This is particular easy to see in the case of the electric dipole.
I got the wrong magnitude initially because I was using an infinite source and was not aware of the surface term that must be included in these cases.Hans de Vries said:The dipole is defined by p=q.r where q is the charge of the positive/negative poles
and r is the distance between the two charges. Rotating the dipole from up to down
moves both charges over a distance of r which means a change of energy of 2qrE=2pE
as it should be.
In the general case the energy is -p.E which varies from -pE to +pE.
If you try to calculate the energy of the dipole by calculating the energy of the
E field instead (with the delta defined as in Jackson chapter 4) then you will get
the right sign but the wrong magnitude, as you did mention yourself also if I
remember well.
JustinLevy said:You are disagreeing with the textbooks. You can't take the stance that the textbooks are correct, and that you are correct, without contradicting yourself.
JustinLevy said:The only requirement is that you are asking about the energy of a system in which the fields are currently constant in time in the system.
The difference is I admit that because the final result I get is different from the textbooks (albeit derived a different way), that something in my calculation is wrong. You instead, disagree with the textbooks and claim you are correct.Hans de Vries said:Nonsense, You're aggressive "claim to textbook authority" discussion style is inappropriate
since you are producing results that, as you say yourself, conflict with experimental data.
Damn it! I posted a long calculation showing that this problem persists even with finite sized dipoles. And we don't have to go to experimental results of elementary particles to check these calculations, as this can be seen just with a current loop.Hans de Vries said:Wrong, we are talking about point dipoles here and experimental results concerning the magnetic moments of elementary particles.
I started from the energy in A.j, which you said is correct.Hans de Vries said:Your equivalence proof assumes that the fields of the particle act on the particle itself which is not the case with the experimental data.
JustinLevy said:This is getting very frustrating.
If you don't feel like working out the math, fine. But at least give the equation you feel should be solved to get the correct answer. How is that for a compromise?
One should be able to derive the point dipole fields in a much simpler way.Hans de Vries said:I'll post some simplifications to do the [itex]E^2+B^2[/itex] integral in the mean time.