Showing that B has no discontinuities at the surface

In summary: We can then also understand why, e.g., the potential ##\phi## has no discontinuity in this case.In summary, the conversation discusses a magnetic dipole distribution in space with magnetization ##\mathbf{M}##. The potential at any point is given by an integral and the ##\mathbf{H}## and ##\mathbf{B}## fields are also defined. It is mentioned that the tangential component of ##\mathbf{B}## may have a singularity due to a surface current, and this is demonstrated in the example of a homogeneously magnetized sphere. It is also noted that the potential ##\phi## has no discontinuity in this case.
Mike400
Consider a magnetic dipole distribution in space having magnetization ##\mathbf{M}##. The potential at any point is given by:

##\displaystyle\psi=\dfrac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int_{V'} \dfrac{ \rho}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|} dV' + \dfrac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \oint_{S'} \dfrac{\sigma}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|} dS'=\psi^{V}+\psi^{S}##

The ##\mathbf{H}## field is:

##\displaystyle\mathbf{H}=\dfrac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int_{V'} \rho \dfrac{\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|^3} dV' + \dfrac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \oint_{S'} \sigma \dfrac{ \mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|^3} dS'=\mathbf{H}^{V}+\mathbf{H}^{S}##

The ##\mathbf{B}## field is:

##\mathbf{B}=\mathbf{H} + \mu_0 \mathbf{M}=\mathbf{H}^{V} + \mathbf{H}^{S} + \mu_0 \mathbf{M}##

##\mathbf{H}^{V}## has no discontinuity.

##\mathbf{H}^{S}## has discontinuity of ##\mu_0 \mathbf{M} \cdot \hat{n}## at the surface ##S'##

##\mu_0 \mathbf{M}## has discontinuity of ##\mu_0 \mathbf{M}## at the surface ##S'##

From these knowledge, how shall one deduce that ##\mathbf{B}## is continuous at the surface?

My try: (I am getting a contradiction)

We need to show that ##\mu_0 \mathbf{M} \cdot \hat{n}+\mu_0 \mathbf{M}=0##, i.e. ##\mathbf{M} \cdot \hat{n}= -\mathbf{M}##
Since the surface could be oriented at any angle w.r.t. ##\mathbf{M}## at the surface, this is a contradiction. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess what you mean is that due to
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0$$
##\vec{B}##'s normal component at the surface must be continuous.

I'm also a bit lost what ##\rho## and ##\sigma## have to do with ##\vec{M}##. Without a surface magnetization (which is a bit unusual; I'm not sure, where one would find such a thing in nature) the correct solution of magnetostatics of a (hard) ferro magnet is
$$\vec{H}=-\vec{\nabla} \phi$$
with
$$\phi(\vec{x})=-\vec{\nabla}_x \cdot \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d}^3 x' \frac{\vec{M}(\vec{x}')}{4 \pi |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}.$$

• Informative
Likes Dale
vanhees71 said:
##\vec{B}##'s normal component at the surface must be continuous.
I know that and can be simply deduced from the equation ##\mathbf{B}=\mathbf{H} + \mu_0 \mathbf{M}=\mathbf{H}^{V} + \mathbf{H}^{S} + \mu_0 \mathbf{M}##. But should the tangential component of ##\vec{B}## must be continuous too? The equation shows a discontinuity in the tangential component.

vanhees71 said:
I'm also a bit lost what ##ρ## and ##σ## have to do with ##\vec{M}##
##ρ=-\nabla \cdot \mathbf{M}## and ##σ=\mathbf{M} \cdot \hat{n}##

Last edited:
The tangential component of ##\vec{H}## can have a singularity due to a surface current, and usually also ##\vec{B}## has one there too.

The standard example is a homogeneously magnetized body. The magnetization is equivalent to a current density
$$\vec{j}_{\text{m}}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{M},$$
and in this approximation that's a surface current density.

E.g., take a homogeneously magnetized sphere of radius ##a## around the origin of the coordinate system. Then we can write (with ##r=|\vec{x}|##)
$$\vec{M}(\vec{x})=M \vec{e}_3 \Theta(a-r).$$
The curl is
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{M}=-M \vec{e}_3 \times \vec{\nabla} \Theta(a-r).$$
Now
$$\vec{\nabla} \Theta(a-r)=\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} r} \Theta(a-r) \vec{\nabla r} = -\frac{\vec{x}}{r} \delta(a-r)=-\frac{\vec{x}}{a} \delta(a-r)$$
and thus
$$\vec{j}_{\text{m}}=\frac{M}{a} \vec{e}_3 \times \vec{x} \delta(r-a),$$
i.e., you have ##\delta##-function like singularity across the surface of the sphere which means that there's a surface-current density.

It's a good example to calculate the magnetic displacement ##\vec{H}## and the magnetic field ##\vec{B}## for this example, which is analytically solvable. Then the concepts of charge and current densities as well as their singular cases, i.e., surface charge and current densities become clear.

1. What does it mean for B to have no discontinuities at the surface?

Having no discontinuities at the surface means that the function B is continuous at every point on the surface. This means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the function's values at the surface.

2. How can we show that B has no discontinuities at the surface?

To show that B has no discontinuities at the surface, we can use the definition of continuity. This involves checking that the limit of B as it approaches the surface from both sides is equal and that B is defined at the surface.

3. Why is it important to show that B has no discontinuities at the surface?

It is important to show that B has no discontinuities at the surface because it ensures that the function is well-behaved and can be used for further analysis and calculations. It also helps to understand the behavior of the function at the surface and its surrounding points.

4. What are some common methods for proving that B has no discontinuities at the surface?

Some common methods for proving that B has no discontinuities at the surface include using the definition of continuity, using the intermediate value theorem, and using the epsilon-delta method. Other methods may also be used depending on the specific function and situation.

5. Are there any situations where B may have no discontinuities at the surface, but still have a discontinuity elsewhere?

Yes, it is possible for B to have no discontinuities at the surface but still have a discontinuity elsewhere. This can occur if the function is not defined at the surface, but is continuous at all other points. It can also occur if the function has a removable discontinuity at the surface, meaning that it can be made continuous by redefining the function at that point.